• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Divorce

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Divorce"

Collapse

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    My parents separated last year. I think they were having to spend all day with each other, and wanted something different from the rest of their lives. They're both dead happy now.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    My parents separated last year. I think they were having to spend all day with each other, and wanted something different from the rest of their lives. They're both dead happy now.
    No way?! I would be gutted if my parents split up. And yes, I am happy to live in la la land and think it will never happen to our family....

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    I read a report recently (can't find it now) saying more older people are getting divorced. One 89 year old woman was asked why she wanted a divorce. “I thought I would out live the bugger, but he’s still here”

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    I read a report recently (can't find it now) saying more older people are getting divorced. One 89 year old woman was asked why she wanted a divorce. “I thought I would out live the bugger, but he’s still here”

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    He has got it ok. He has the kids and therefore will keep the house for the foreseeable future. If he hasn't got divorce papers served yet, get the money out of his accounts pronto into cash at mates family etc.

Then cancel her credit cards and if she's working get the CSA involved.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Eh, yeah - something like that!!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by richard-af View Post
    Naive:
    tulip, yeah. And there was me giving out to someone earlier for spelling mistake....

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    You are right it is complete B*llocks and not at all fair, but not every woman is the same (don't go taring us all with the same brush!) and this kind of thing is unfortunatly happening more and more.... the tide will have to turn or am I just being nieve?
    Naive:

Bored woman + massive equity in house + big-earner hubby + vampiric solicitor + her Mum always hated man anyway = ££££££ for woman + F.A. for man.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    You are right it is complete B*llocks and not at all fair, but not every woman is the same (don't go taring us all with the same brush!) and this kind of thing is unfortunatly happening more and more.... the tide will have to turn or am I just being nieve?
    Generally speaking I don't belive the woman has a huge amount to do with it. She will undoubtably go and see a solicitor who will fill her mind with silly ideas and then ask for a silly fee as long as they get her a silly payout. They will then undoubtably push for as much as they can possibly get telling everybody that it's only fair and right.

Secondly most women can be bloody vindictave when they want to be and when a relationship breaks up the vindictiveness is bound to show.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    That is what mine was going to try on. Once they see the solicitor, the £ signs light up in their eyes. The solicitirs cause a lot of the problems during a divorce.

I told her however, that if she was going to play silly devils, she should remember that I can pay myself minimum wage and pay dividends to family members who may wish to invest in my company. That could mean that I decide to go via the CSA route and any maintainence based on my earnings could be pretty low. Nothing illegal and whilst possibly morally dubious, no worse than what she was after. We managed to sort things amicably (or as amicably as possible in the circumstances).

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    Since when have circumstances ever affected the law and "what is fair"....

She's a woman so it's only fair she gets the lions share of everything and an income for the rest of her life. I mean she obviously gave up a promising carrerr to have and look after children FFS. She could have been a multi millionaire by now. With this in mind I predict a large payout to her for the rest of her life and a free house to live in.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    From experience, when it comes to assets, no account of blame is considered. My ex decided to have an affair and then wanted a divorce. She kept my daughter and I was advised that I may end up with nothing if it went to court despite her infidelity being the cause of the divorce and me being the only money earner.

Thankfully we came to an agreement but the main thing is to make sure that the children do not suffer. It is an awful time but there is light at the end of tunnel and make sure that you are there for your brother and the children. He may not ask for support but he sure as heck will need it and appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    It is tulipe..... but you just have to be there for him - his Mrs must be having some sort of breakdown, to actually leave her kids or she's just a heartless nasty piece of work! IMHO and from the little you've told us, sounds like he will be better off without her. Surely the courts would have to favour your brother when it comes to the crunch, after all she is the one who walked out.

Good Luck!
    Since when have circumstances ever affected the law and "what is fair"....

She's a woman so it's only fair she gets the lions share of everything and an income for the rest of her life. I mean she obviously gave up a promising carrerr to have and look after children FFS. She could have been a multi millionaire by now. With this in mind I predict a large payout to her for the rest of her life and a free house to live in.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    It is tulipe..... but you just have to be there for him - his Mrs must be having some sort of breakdown, to actually leave her kids or she's just a heartless nasty piece of work! IMHO and from the little you've told us, sounds like he will be better off without her. Surely the courts would have to favour your brother when it comes to the crunch, after all she is the one who walked out.

Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    Sorry Troll, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. I don't think your sister-in-law's actions can be defended. The kids must come first.
    No problem .. I am hearing of so many couples whose marriages are failing - I don't know if its because peoples expectations are wrong or something else.. this will be the first divorce in our family ( although she was already a divorcee) so it's a bit of a shock to us all & I've no real experience of what to advise the brother...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X