• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Retrogaming

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Retrogaming"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    Yeah, but I'd probably use the Xbox in order to have it up on a 4k wide-screen.
    How very unretro of you. SHould be two 28" CRTs side by side.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    Arcade Club - Europe's Largest Free Play Video & Pinball Arcade in Bury & Leeds. More than 300 modern and classic arcades. - good place in Bury (North Manchester) for an evening of retro gaming - £16 to get in then all games are on freeplay mode so can play as much as you want

All the old retro arcade machines plus newer stuff like racing chairs with VR and VR red dead redemption etc.

Great for a night of re-living younger years

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Sounds good.
    You could be even more ambitious and get a two-car set up that allows you to play:
    Daytona USA
    Sega Rally 1 & 2
    Ridge Racer and sequels
    Power Drift
    Outrun and sequels.
    SNES Super Mario Kart
    N64 Mario Kart
    Yeah, but I'd probably use the Xbox in order to have it up on a 4k wide-screen.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post
    I'm actually toying with the idea of building a gaming seat for drive/flight games. There are loads of plans on line for this sort of thing and it would be a fun thing to do with the boy some week-end.
    Sounds good.
    You could be even more ambitious and get a two-car set up that allows you to play:
    Daytona USA
    Sega Rally 1 & 2
    Ridge Racer and sequels
    Power Drift
    Outrun and sequels.
    SNES Super Mario Kart
    N64 Mario Kart

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    I don't plan on building a car to play Sega Rally...
    I'm actually toying with the idea of building a gaming seat for drive/flight games. There are loads of plans on line for this sort of thing and it would be a fun thing to do with the boy some week-end.

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    I don't plan on building a car to play Sega Rally or modding a set of handlebars to play Paperboy or Return of the Jedi. I've always preferred the more traditional joystick-based games from Green Beret and Double Dragon through to Mortal Kombat, Tekken and even Puzzle Bobble. As such, that's not an issue; as I said, I've got a decent arcade-style 2 player set up. It's the software, not the hardware that I'm interested in at the moment. Looks a bit like a couple of Linux distros are dedicated to it, albeit they're pushing a Raspberry Pi setup.
    I have RetroPie running on a Pi 3 B+. The interface is actually quite good although the performance of some of the games is patchy. It would probably benefit from a bit of overclocking... and me taking the time to find better ROMs.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    MAME was great for a nostalgic mess around with old arcade games, but for a lot of games, it could never replace the experience of playing them on arcade machines. Missile Command without the big heavy ball and three buttons, and Track and Field without the act of hammering utter f**k out of the buttons was just not the same.
    I don't plan on building a car to play Sega Rally or modding a set of handlebars to play Paperboy or Return of the Jedi. I've always preferred the more traditional joystick-based games from Green Beret and Double Dragon through to Mortal Kombat, Tekken and even Puzzle Bobble. As such, that's not an issue; as I said, I've got a decent arcade-style 2 player set up. It's the software, not the hardware that I'm interested in at the moment. Looks a bit like a couple of Linux distros are dedicated to it, albeit they're pushing a Raspberry Pi setup.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    MAME was great for a nostalgic mess around with old arcade games, but for a lot of games, it could never replace the experience of playing them on arcade machines. Missile Command without the big heavy ball and three buttons, and Track and Field without the act of hammering utter f**k out of the buttons was just not the same.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I haven't used MAME in years. I remember having a huge stack of DVDs with the whole catalogue.

Not done much gaming of late, sad times
    Same here, that's why I'm asking. Saw a youtube video and it turns out Tekken 3 is now available on MAME, prompting me to get back into it.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I haven't used MAME in years. I remember having a huge stack of DVDs with the whole catalogue.

Not done much gaming of late, sad times

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    started a topic Retrogaming

Retrogaming

What are folks using for emulation these days? Is it still MAME? Emulation Station? Or a dedicated OS? I've got a nice dual USB arcade stick that I'll be plugging into a PC, so just wondering what the best software was to facilitate its use? TIA

N.B. will not be using radiator keys or gladiator DVDs

Working...
X