• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Today's Budget

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Today's Budget"

Collapse

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by flamel View Post
    I assume you're being paid by the government.
    How about you go and Foxtrot Oscar, being a speck of a useless spunk trumpet.
    what he said.

Leave a comment:

• flamel
    replied
    Originally posted by dmc View Post
    Anyone who took one of these loans knew what they were doing. It wasn't wise planning it was just evasion.

So why the righteous indignation? You took a punt, tried to pay no taxes, it didn't work.

I can't honestly believe that anyone entered into one of these and didn't give themselves a sly chuckle at how smart they were getting one over on the man.
    I assume you're being paid by the government.
    How about you go and Foxtrot Oscar, being a speck of a useless spunk trumpet.

Leave a comment:

• DonkeyRhubarb
    replied
    Originally posted by webberg View Post
    I'll leave it to others to say what it makes you.
    perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Anyone who took one of these loans knew what they were doing. It wasn't wise planning it was just evasion.

So why the righteous indignation? You took a punt, tried to pay no taxes, it didn't work.

I can't honestly believe that anyone entered into one of these and didn't give themselves a sly chuckle at how smart they were getting one over on the man.
    Being generous, the above is a naive view. Being less generous, if you had bothered reading the threads for more than 30 seconds, you would realise that your view is hopelessly ill informed.

I think everybody here realises that when hindsight is applied they have allowed themselves to be fooled into something inappropriate.

(OK, I accept that some may have taken a punt, but I can honestly say that they represent less than 1% of the people I speak with).

Coming in with smug comments protected by anonymity of a forum name does not make you a philosopher or keeper of the moral high ground. I'll leave it to others to say what it makes you.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Anger is justified. At a tedious twunt like you. Wait until the same happens to you.

Why not turn up at the next CUK meeting and make your comments face to face?

Leave a comment:

• DotasScandal
    replied
    Originally posted by LandRover View Post
    Go and do one...you have no clue of individuals circumstances of why they ended up where they did.
    What a righteous idiot!
    Just the usual HMRC observer who couldn't hold it in anymore. Ignore.

Leave a comment:

• LandRover
    replied

Go and do one...you have no clue of individuals circumstances of why they ended up where they did.

What a righteous idiot!

Leave a comment:

• DonkeyRhubarb
    replied
    Originally posted by SomeDude View Post
    That's probably exactly what you will hear from someone else in a year or two, when HMRC/HMG will start to retrospectively punish the use of LTD companies by contractors.
    It's funny, recent articles in the press have described use of a personal LTD with terms like "loophole" and "scheme".

It's less aggressive than the marketed schemes but it's still regarded by the authorities as tax avoidance.

IR35 was anti-avoidance legislation after all.

Leave a comment:

• SomeDude
    replied

That's probably exactly what you will hear from someone else in a year or two, when HMRC/HMG will start to retrospectively punish the use of LTD companies by contractors.

Leave a comment:

• PeterF
    replied
    Originally posted by Mojito View Post
    So does the above in effect over-ride the discovery windows of 4/6 years - can the "charge" (plus interest presumably) be levied on loans where no enquiry has been raised?

It looks like HMRC have picked an arbitrary (although highly tactical) date to cut through annoying "out of time" constraints. Is that the case?
    Initially looks that way I'd say. Any years previously out of HMRC's reach due to being out of time for enquiry or assessment, potentially forget all that - a nice retro sweep back to year dot.

Leave a comment:

• dmc
    replied
    Is anger justified?

Leave a comment:

• Mojito
    replied
    Over-rides the 4/6-year discovery windows?

Originally posted by flamel View Post
    10.The charge will apply where:
    a. The loan was made at any time prior to the amendments to Part 7A, outlined in Chapter 4, coming into force (including where the loan was made before Part 7A was first introduced);
    b. If the same loan was made after those amendments came into force it would be taxable under Part 7A (including if it would already have been taxable under Part 7A if made before it was amended); and
    c. The loan, or part of the loan, is outstanding on 5 April 2019.
    So does the above in effect over-ride the discovery windows of 4/6 years - can the "charge" (plus interest presumably) be levied on loans where no enquiry has been raised?

It looks like HMRC have picked an arbitrary (although highly tactical) date to cut through annoying "out of time" constraints. Is that the case?

Leave a comment:

• DonkeyRhubarb
    replied
    Tax charge on loans

The timing of when the charge comes into effect, 5 April 2019, is no accident.

This is during the final year of this Parliament, before the May 2020 election, when the Govt has set itself the target of having a budget surplus.

A big windfall tax like this would be very convenient in that year.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by westtester View Post
    If an agency is responsible for determining your status AND drawing up your contract, presumably they could be persuaded to word the contract in such a way that you are able to be declared outside IR35? Otherwise they might find it much harder to find contractors willing to take on PS roles. I look forward with trepidation to the next round of consultation on what HMRC considers to be business rules.
    I suspect that said agency will have to show that they have used the HMRC supplied digital tool and the answers it returns.

Suffice to say that my firm has a number of clients (more than a few dozen) to whom we supply services and we used a similar tool which returned a "borderline" result for us!

I think it safe to conclude that 90% or more tests will come back as "employee".

Leave a comment:

• carling
    replied
    Just when you thought the Gangsters couldnt stoop any lower.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X