• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: How the hell...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How the hell..."

Collapse

• Nipple Clamp
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    I thought he was these parts
    Yes but he's round as well.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Mr Murdoch also warned Gordon Brown if he succeeds Mr Blair not to "cheat" the British public with a snap election.
    That would spoil Cameron's long-term planning, wouldn't it?

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    How the hell did it get this bad without people realising WTF is going on?
    Cowboy Bob has it, Alistair Campbell is the spawn of Satan. I think he must have had a job on the side persuading the US public that Iraq was behind 9/11.

There is still hope, if The Sun decides Dave is better than Gordon then white van man could tip the balance.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5127284.stm

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I thought he was these parts

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Isn't Threaded from around those parts?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    From the beeb

Top 10 obese towns

Easington
    Corby
    Knowsley
    Sedgefield
    Sandwell
    South Tyneside
    Bolsover
    Barnsley
    Sunderland
    Wansbeck

All Labour and all fat. Therefore foes not voting labour make you slimmer? To reduce Obesity shouldn't we all vote Tory?

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Never ever over estimate the ability of the British public to think for themselves.
    Your comment reminds of the quote by Hitler

What good fortune for governments that the people do not think

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Any small swing in a key marginal is also an important factor to consider with our first past the post system.
    Fully agree, but that would suggest we should go for the Lib Dems choice of proportional representation if we want our Government to represent the majority of the electorate.

I say we hand power back to the monarchy and let them run the country. How much worse could it get...

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    Any small swing in a key marginal is also an important factor to consider with our first past the post system.
    Agreed. I much prefer the French system over two rounds, where, in the overwhelming majority of cases, the person elected has more than 50% of the vote, considerably more in some cases. No tactical voting and greater voter choice of parties, without the crap of proportional representation.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    But the spin doctors need a press which does not question the bollocks they spout. The simple fact is, News Corporation enjoy a nice cosy relationship with whoever is in power. They don't question the party line, so long as they get to keep their favourable tax position. So having a left wing BBC and the biggest newspapers who promote the NL party line is a double whammy for NL.

I don't go for the 1% thing though. When I was at Uni, I did a politics module as part of my degree and one essay I wrote was on the decline of the Labour party. (late 80's) Much of it revolved around the decline in heavy industry where Labour traditionally got its votes (and money) from. Also there was an aspiration to become middle classed and vote in accordance. What changed in the mid to late 90's was Labour. The fact that their spin doctors spoke about being a centre left party and making it alright to vote NL. They tax like old labour, but talk their way out of it and the poodle press report it - so it must be true.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
    What does affect the undecided electorate?
    They're still undecided.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
    Being told a load of bollox that they believe hook, line and sinker by the various spin doctors, which the parties never have any intention of implementing. Best spin doctors win the election every time.

People didn't vote for Tony Blair, they voted for Alastair Campbell. Just they didn't know it...

Leave a comment:

• CaribbeanPirate
    replied
    Originally posted by Flubster
    I remember doing this in my Government & Politics 'A' level

FFS, who let all this riff-raff into the room.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Flubster
    Studies show (I remember doing this in my Government & Politics 'A' level) that newspapers have about a 1% affect of the UNDECIDED electorate.

Leave a comment:

• Flubster
    replied
    Never ever over estimate the ability of the British public to think for themselves. If the Sun supports a party then they will get in. Simple as that really. Because NL courted Murdoch in the same way Maggie did, so the Sun started to portray NL in a good light and the Tories in a bad one. The sheep then vote accordingly.
    I disagree. Sun readers during the 80's thought that the paper was a Labour supporter...because of the 'red top'. Sun didn't make the switch until it was obvious Labour were going to get in. The Daily Mail switched to supporting Labour after they got in (they have subsequently reverted to type).

Studies show (I remember doing this in my Government & Politics 'A' level) that newspapers have about a 1% affect of the UNDECIDED electorate. The vast majority of us never change who we vote for, a large proportion vote the same way as our parents, and another larger chunk go for personality. God help us...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X