• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone else working on this bank holiday?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Got to be in at noon. I have 3 issues on my plate - after that I hope to be filling up the counting thread for the rest of the afternoon/evening.
    Fixed my 3 issues - and 3 more came in. Fixed 1st one : 2 to go. If I can be bothered.

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied

Took some time off to move house in March, so working bank holidays to get some invoicing back!

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I'm not, but I am.

Just done an interview screening with a chap in Michigan. No go.
    Also have to have a call with my boss and the CIO later, which they moved from Friday which is annoying as it's the BH, but also annoying as I cannot actually not attend it.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Most take the Friday off; clientco here is doing that.
    Not my clientco or Mr N's it seems

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    In DE we used to call them bridge days, it was almost expected that people would take them off and nobody ever worked one.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I also get confused with the upcoming Ascension Thursday off where you don't have the Friday off, weird! Though one clientco last year had the obligatory Friday off as well.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Most gummint 'workers' are off and I think many schools are free anyway due to school holidays, and Lady Tester has an obligatory day off, otherwise she would get double pay. It depends on the industry collective agreements. Some industries are free, others not. Ye, every five years the liberation is considered important enough for a general holiday. Bizarre really.
    I also get confused with the upcoming Ascension Thursday off where you don't have the Friday off, weird! Though one clientco last year had the obligatory Friday off as well.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Apparently it will be important enough next year for a holiday, at least the trains were quiet this morning as some people are still off.
    Most gummint 'workers' are off and I think many schools are free anyway due to school holidays, and Lady Tester has an obligatory day off, otherwise she would get double pay. It depends on the industry collective agreements. Some industries are free, others not. Ye, every five years the liberation is considered important enough for a general holiday. Bizarre really.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Indeed; somehow the gummint here don't think the liberation of NL is important enough for a holiday. A lot of people are free here in the sticks though.
    Apparently it will be important enough next year for a holiday, at least the trains were quiet this morning as some people are still off.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    There's no bank holiday here
    Indeed; somehow the gummint here don't think the liberation of NL is important enough for a holiday. A lot of people are free here in the sticks though.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Had a 3 day week last week.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    There's no bank holiday here

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bacchus
    replied
    Hmmm...

Digging: debugging someone else's code
    Leaning on a for looking at the results of your hard work: smoke-testing
    Sitting back and having a beer whilst the vegetables grow: contracting (c:

I think the vegetable patch is where the BAs sit though...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    You could also try pushing the limits of gardening as a metaphor for software development e.g.

Vegetable patch = source code control system
    Weeding = refactoring
    Back of the shed = code nobody dares to touch cos they don't know how it works and don't really care to find out
    Lying on the sunbed = waiting for code to compile

Leave a comment:

Working...
X