• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ukraine reinstates conscription"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Findus to rebrand Chicken Kiev as ‘Chicken Moscow’

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I keep reading this as constipation.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    And you miss this?
    Hardly

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Odd that considering up till now you've accused me of suckling on western propoganda even when posting links to the moscow times
    And you miss this?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Thank you Doodab. A balanced post, with your thoughts clearly outlined. This I appreciate very much.
    Odd that considering up till now you've accused me of suckling on western propoganda even when posting links to the moscow times

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I don't think it's possible to get a balanced view from any media outlet. It's a waste of time even looking TBH. All you can do is filter fact from fiction as best you can (not an easy task for the casual onlooker given the dimensions and quality of the propaganda machines at work) and apply a bit of common sense to reach your own conclusions.

Mine is that both the Russians and the EU/USA have been as bad as each other for a number of years when it comes to meddling in Ukrainian affairs. It's a geopolitical hot potato and has been since the disintegration of the USSR. The current bout of meddling looks like ending in civil war and possibly the partition of the country. I don't think it will spread beyond that.
    Thank you Doodab. A balanced post, with your thoughts clearly outlined. This I appreciate very much.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I don't think it's possible to get a balanced view from any media outlet. It's a waste of time even looking TBH. All you can do is filter fact from fiction as best you can (not an easy task for the casual onlooker given the dimensions and quality of the propaganda machines at work) and apply a bit of common sense to reach your own conclusions.

Mine is that both the Russians and the EU/USA have been as bad as each other for a number of years when it comes to meddling in Ukrainian affairs. It's a geopolitical hot potato and has been since the disintegration of the USSR. The current bout of meddling looks like ending in civil war and possibly the partition of the country. I don't think it will spread beyond that.
    Last edited by doodab; 2 May 2014, 05:40.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Wasn't he one of the lefties who was cheering on September 11th, not that I'm saying he's biased on anything or that the Guardian would write any anti American bigotry but it looks like typical Guardian racism to me...
    He does seem to have taken sides. It reads like the stuff on English language Russian media.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Wasn't he one of the lefties who was cheering on September 11th, not that I'm saying he's biased on anything or that the Guardian would write any anti American bigotry but it looks like typical Guardian racism to me...

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    Violently overthrow the democratically elected government in the name of freedom! Reinstate conscription in the name of...er...
    It's not Russia that's pushed Ukraine to the brink of war | Seumas Milne | Comment is free | The Guardian

The threat of war in Ukraine is growing. As the unelected government in Kiev declares itself unable to control the rebellion in the country's east, John Kerry brands Russia a rogue state. The US and the European Union step up sanctions against the Kremlin, accusing it of destabilising Ukraine. The White House is reported to be set on a new cold war policy with the aim of turning Russia into a "pariah state".

That might be more explicable if what is going on in eastern Ukraine now were not the mirror image of what took place in Kiev a couple of months ago. Then, it was armed protesters in Maidan Square seizing government buildings and demanding a change of government and constitution. US and European leaders championed the "masked militants" and denounced the elected government for its crackdown, just as they now back the unelected government's use of force against rebels occupying police stations and town halls in cities such as Slavyansk and Donetsk.

"America is with you," Senator John McCain told demonstrators then, standing shoulder to shoulder with the leader of the far-right Svoboda party as the US ambassador haggled with the state department over who would make up the new Ukrainian government.

When the Ukrainian president was replaced by a US-selected administration, in an entirely unconstitutional takeover, politicians such as William Hague brazenly misled parliament about the legality of what had taken place: the imposition of a pro-western government on Russia's most neuralgic and politically divided neighbour.

Putin bit back, taking a leaf out of the US street-protest playbook – even though, as in Kiev, the protests that spread from Crimea to eastern Ukraine evidently have mass support. But what had been a glorious cry for freedom in Kiev became infiltration and insatiable aggression in Sevastopol and Luhansk.

After Crimeans voted overwhelmingly to join Russia, the bulk of the western media abandoned any hint of even-handed coverage. So Putin is now routinely compared to Hitler, while the role of the fascistic right on the streets and in the new Ukrainian regime has been airbrushed out of most reporting as Putinist propaganda.

Interesting read from the Guardian

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    America is getting a bit like the UN, they've done the strongly worded letter

What are they going to do next, threaten to send the Bieber if Putin doesn't back down ?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    I thought they'd always had conscription.
    Not after eating prunes

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    They haven't, but only since end of 2013.
    So all good then? Nothing to see here, move on?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    They haven't, but only since end of 2013.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X