• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Breeding in the UK

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Breeding in the UK"

Collapse

• Joe Black
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes
    London offers the best salaries in Europe !!

LOL...speaking for myself, london does not offer the best salary/cost of living ratio

if you think it does you are dreaming

Milan.
    Possibly, speaking for yourself it doesn't. As for the other generalisations, utter b*llocks.

Some things are obviously cheaper in Europe, houses, cigarettes, fuel (diesel primarily), but for the rest, regarding the average Joe (e.g. IT contractor/permie), in most cases almost everyone I know/have known in IT has been able to put more away in the bank, acummulate more capital, in a shorter space of time in London than just about anyone I've come across on the continent.

Hence the reason IT contractors from the UK can go to Belgium and buy a house for cash, those working in Belgium can perhaps buy a house in the Czech Republic for cash, while those in CZ have to look towards Latvia, and similarly the Lats perhaps towards Siberia to get 'value' for their money.

Strangely it doesn't seem to work the other way round...
    Last edited by Joe Black; 30 August 2006, 06:21.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Struggle is good for the soul, boys. Builds character.
    Alternatively if you had ploughed a liitle bit of cash into the housing market in the mid-late 90s, when contracting rates were at their best ...

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied

you should come back to the mainland

Milan.
    Ah... being a neighbour to Milan! Do you charge them if they need a cup of sugar?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    the cjo stuff

anyway doesn't matter

my opinion you are wrong with your conclusion that UK comes out tops on the salary against cost of living scale

you want to bring up your child in the city ? hopefully in a house with a garden ?

you have no car ? you know how much stuff you suddenly have to take with you to go anywhere once you have a child

you want you child to ride on public transport and your missus and the pram and all the baby stuff

we'll see how long she puts up with that

you should come back to the mainland

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    you had your chance to get into this stuff about 4 years ago Francko but you didn't push it, you should have

Milan.
    ? You mean about accepting the permanent role in the dutch bank?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    you had your chance to get into this stuff about 4 years ago Francko but you didn't push it, you should have

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    Milan I am a lot less affectioned than you to the UK and my choice is purely rational. Sure a few things cost more here (especially cigarettes and alcohol) but for the rest I don't find a big difference (and not the 1.4 that you claim).

Eating out is expensive (but then again I am good at cooking so I don't need to eat out that often), transport is expensive but you can forget the car, housing is just as expensive as in euroland (you can buy a decent 2-bed flat for 300k euros just as much as what you need in Bruxelles, Amsterdam or Rome), food is expensive as in Europe (of course if you buy Prosciutto Parma everyday then it becomes 5 times more expensive), drinking out is actually cheaper than in the continent. Of course, if you have money and if you have holes in your wallet you can spend no-limit in London but if you are reasonable you just end up spending as much as you would spend in many other european capitals (of course, this might change when you have a family as I said and this would make me reconsider my choice).
    And regarding jobs, Milan, perhaps you can be luckier but I struggle to find any position that pays more than 100k in euroland with the additional burden that they want you to be perfectly fluent in the language, as more likely it's a senior manager position and even for contracts is hard to get over 500 euros a day. Now, this might be different for you but you know there are also average joes like me around here.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Francko,

you and I both know you are talking out of your rear end !

transport is expensive but you can forget the car

>>>>>>>>>> I'd rather have my car than public transport thank you

housing is just as expensive as in euroland (you can buy a decent 2-bed flat for 300k euros just as much as what you need in Bruxelles, Amsterdam or Rome)

>>>>>>>>>> this is utter blx, you get much more property in like for like areas on the mainland than you do in the uk

food is expensive as in Europe (of course if you buy Prosciutto Parma everyday then it becomes 5 times more expensive), drinking out is actually cheaper than in the continent

>>>>>>>>>>> again, more tosh, you are talking la la land today francko, you sure you haven't been drinking ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    Still as bad as ever , but the freely available crack makes it all disappear

Love
    Frankie

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    Next!
    How's your ex-council house in the East End, Francko?

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Francko,

does it really matter

as it happens, here's one example which will become familiar to you, Pampers, same numeric price in UK supermarket as in a bratvurst supermarket except the currency is different. I don't have time to build you a full list

you stay blissfully happy in the UK, myself and the rest of the UK contractors will stay blissfully happy on the mainland and you know what, everyone's happy
    Milan I am a lot less affectioned than you to the UK and my choice is purely rational. Sure a few things cost more here (especially cigarettes and alcohol) but for the rest I don't find a big difference (and not the 1.4 that you claim).

Eating out is expensive (but then again I am good at cooking so I don't need to eat out that often), transport is expensive but you can forget the car, housing is just as expensive as in euroland (you can buy a decent 2-bed flat for 300k euros just as much as what you need in Bruxelles, Amsterdam or Rome), food is expensive as in Europe (of course if you buy Prosciutto Parma everyday then it becomes 5 times more expensive), drinking out is actually cheaper than in the continent. Of course, if you have money and if you have holes in your wallet you can spend no-limit in London but if you are reasonable you just end up spending as much as you would spend in many other european capitals (of course, this might change when you have a family as I said and this would make me reconsider my choice).

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Only immigrants and home grown white trash dole fodder can afford to breed in the UK. Both groups are incredibly fertile.

The middle class's role is to pay for the above.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Andyw

Repossed !
    Next!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Andyw

Repossed !
    No please stop. My sides are hurting from laughing so much.

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    My 3 flats are on the market now.
    HTH.

Repossed !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X