• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "My new running machine."

Collapse

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    I had an avulsion fracture in my left tibia while I was a Gladiator, and then a few more years of overcompensating while lugging my own body weight in kit on my back didn't help the other knee.
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Sounds more annoying than painful.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I once injured myself whilst serving in the British Legion.

Them pints on a tray can get quite heavy.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I had an avulsion fracture in my left tibia while I was a Royal Marine, and then a few more years of overcompensating while lugging my own body weight in kit on my back didn't help the other knee.

They aren't 'destroyed' but I can't run more than a mile. I do suspect that if I saw a podiatrist and got my gait compensated for it might help a lot though. I had some carbon-fibre inserts made for my boots when I was having physio after the operation and they turned me from a complete cripple to being able to run 20 miles overnight.

I'm expecting arthritis as I age, so I'm happy delaying that as much as possible by using the bike instead of running
    here we go...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    My ligaments are the manliest around! It was my anterior cruciate - that pansy Gazza's snapped. Mine held it together like a boss and instead ripped the spine out of the top of my tibia.
    Nasty stuff. It probably hurt enough to make a chap need a swift drink.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    MTFU!

My ligaments are the manliest around! It was my anterior cruciate - that pansy Gazza's snapped. Mine held it together like a boss and instead ripped the spine out of the top of my tibia.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I had an avulsion fracture in my left tibia while I was a Royal Marine, ...
    MTFU!

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    What did you do to your knees?
    I had an avulsion fracture in my left tibia while I was a Royal Marine, and then a few more years of overcompensating while lugging my own body weight in kit on my back didn't help the other knee.

They aren't 'destroyed' but I can't run more than a mile. I do suspect that if I saw a podiatrist and got my gait compensated for it might help a lot though. I had some carbon-fibre inserts made for my boots when I was having physio after the operation and they turned me from a complete cripple to being able to run 20 miles overnight.

I'm expecting arthritis as I age, so I'm happy delaying that as much as possible by using the bike instead of running

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    I have a Vision Fitness something or other, had it for about 5 years now, do 5km every morning at 12kph

Milan.
    Two quick for me.

At the minute I do two 9k's a week in about 55 mins. Slow and gentle, no rush. Fat burning rather than cardio is my preference.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Nice.
    My kees are destroyed so I recently bought a spin bike. Only 4 weeks in and my hip bone are back.
    What did you do to your knees?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    I have a Vision Fitness something or other, had it for about 5 years now, do 5km every morning at 12kph

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    What is it?
    A running machine?

It's a machine. You run on.

All joking aside, it's a York 120. Pretty basic, but more than good enough for me - 16kph max. Very quiet and compact, which is great as I don't have too much space in the spare room it's been placed it.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Nice.
    My kees are destroyed so I recently bought a spin bike. Only 4 weeks in and my hip bone are back.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    What is it?

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    started a topic My new running machine.

My new running machine.

Just done the first 10k on it and my initial thoughts are:

+ belt is textured, so better grip for the running shoes and so no slipping.
    + modern electric motors are now very quiet (much quieter than my old running machine.)
    + damping between the running board and the frame is very good (so quiet and gentler on the joints.)

- tray for my iPod is a bit on the small side, can easily see the iPod falling off after a slight cable tug.
    - no frigging tray for my drinks bottle! (will have to somehow remove the one from the old, dead running machine and attach it.)

First run after a one week break was a killer.

Working...
X