• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The sly old fox!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The sly old fox!"

Collapse

• CaribbeanPirate
    replied
    Originally posted by oraclesmith
    I don't know if this would work but.... you could link up with a bunch of other friendly ex-pats who regularly come back to the UK and they could use it in turns as a stay-over.
    You've got the rough idea.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    I don't know if this would work but.... you could link up with a bunch of other friendly ex-pats who regularly come back to the UK and they could use it in turns as a stay-over. This way you keep ownership of the property (assuming you can get it in the first place), you can charge a modest weekly fee (which covers maintenance etc) and it stays occupied for much of the time. Hook up with a reliable property maintenance firm that you can call in for the bigger repairs. You will have to make sure that you can do this on the lease agreement.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Dodgy having an empty property in that part of the world. You could put it in the hands of reliable full service property agents.

Leave a comment:

• CaribbeanPirate
    replied
    ..it could do quite well as a rental..
    Don’t want to do the BTL thing. I can’t manage that from 5000 miles away.

I was thinking of using it when I my trips back to UK. I do that every two/three months for a week or two.

Also, after hurricane Ivan in September 2004 when we all got booted off the island for a couple of weeks, I would feel better if I had a bolt-hole if things went tits-up.com

Leave a comment:

• CaribbeanPirate
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Sounds like grounds for residency in this country to me matey...

Be careful the HMRC don't find out...
    Yeah, that's what I'm worried about.

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Does your mum have a right to buy and might it be worth doing it while she still can? Assuming you can afford it. She will probably be entitled to a major discount.
    I presume so. I've not looked into it. I've got to make my mind up in the next couple of days. Think she will last the weekend but it will be all over well before the end of next month. I think that will be enough time to get the tennancy transfered but not long enough for the right to buy.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    Depending on exact location, it could do quite well as a rental, providing she stays in this world long enough to see the process through. Check the potential management charges though, especially if it's in a big run down block as RTB's have to pay the full portion of any refurb (new windows etc), whereas the council tenants get it done free.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by CaribbeanPirate
    Council Flat. Or is it now a housing association. I know there are plans to change but I don't know what the current status is.

It was still Tower Hamlets when I paid for a whole year last November. Had a bit of explaining to do. I was trying to pay by cheque but I was showing the young chap my Cayman cheque book not my UK one.

What a chav! Tax Excile in council house.
    Does your mum have a right to buy and might it be worth doing it while she still can? Assuming you can afford it. She will probably be entitled to a major discount.

Leave a comment:

• CaribbeanPirate
    replied
    Council Flat. Or is it now a housing association. I know there are plans to change but I don't know what the current status is.

It was still Tower Hamlets when I paid for a whole year last November. Had a bit of explaining to do. I was trying to pay by cheque but I was showing the young chap my Cayman cheque book not my UK one.

What a chav! Tax Excile in council house.

Leave a comment:

• oraclesmith
    replied
    When you say 'give it back' do you mean it's a council property or sheltered housing or something ? Just being nosey.

Leave a comment:

• CaribbeanPirate
    replied
    FFS! Old people!

That guys name on the voters form. It turns out that the name was on the form when she got the first one and she could not figure out how to remove it. She has lived here for about 10 years.

She wasn't to happy about me having crossed her name out on the form. So I got told off again. I don't think there has been one visit in the last three weeks that I've not been in the dog-house for something or other.

Never mind, I've got Monday off visiting duty.

This is the first August Bank Holiday that I am spending in the UK this century and guess what: it's gonna rain.
    Last edited by CaribbeanPirate; 24 August 2006, 15:09.

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    Keep it !

Leave a comment:

• CaribbeanPirate
    replied
    Could be a scam by someone wanting to get on the electoral roll. Does your mum know the name ? Who filled in her Form A last year ?
    I thought about that too; but she move from here to the home well over a year ago. Nobody would have filled in or returned the form last year.

Originally posted by Andyw
    You still live with your mum at your age
    My mum is in hospice, dying.

I am staying at her old flat. I'm seriously thinking of keeping this place on as somewhere to stay when I am back in London. My sister and her lot don't want it. We were going to give it back but I am not sure now.

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    And once again AndyW puts his foot in his mouth...

WTF are you on about ?

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Andyw
    You still live with your mum ? at your age ?
    And once again AndyW puts his foot in his mouth...

Leave a comment:

• Andyw
    replied
    You still live with your mum ? at your age ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X