• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Philip Seymour Hoffman or summert..."

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Not too sure why you are trying to tie his death to depression?!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    The most common way for addicts to die is an overdose after they've been off it for a period (it's quite common after coming out of prison). Regular users don't often die from it, and afaik it doesn't cause cancer and other diseases in the same way as alcohol/fags.

I think you have a good point in that much of the problem is societies attitude to addiction. Plenty of addicts do function normally - the issues that hit the news are the crimes committed to get the money to buy the drugs - if they were freely available, that problem would more or less go away, but there would (probably) be a hell of a lot more addicts.

I don't think it should be legalised, but maybe it should be made available (in the form that they crave) to those who are addicted so that it doesn't wreck their and others lives.
    I would imagine regular users build up a tolerance, so when they come back to it they think they can handle the same dosage?!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Apparently he'd been off the stuff for 20 odd years.
    The most common way for addicts to die is an overdose after they've been off it for a period (it's quite common after coming out of prison). Regular users don't often die from it, and afaik it doesn't cause cancer and other diseases in the same way as alcohol/fags.

I think you have a good point in that much of the problem is societies attitude to addiction. Plenty of addicts do function normally - the issues that hit the news are the crimes committed to get the money to buy the drugs - if they were freely available, that problem would more or less go away, but there would (probably) be a hell of a lot more addicts.

I don't think it should be legalised, but maybe it should be made available (in the form that they crave) to those who are addicted so that it doesn't wreck their and others lives.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Synecdoche is on BBC2 later.

If someone wants to watch it and tell me WTF it was all about I would be much obliged.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    I'm sure a lot of people take heroin recreationally with not issues, given he was a Oscar winning actor and had made recent movies as well as doing all the PR stuff, equating him to a junkie on skid row is naive at best. He could have been unlucky and had a deadly batch or something.
    Apparently he'd been off the stuff for 20 odd years.

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    I'd agree, and I'm not trying to belittle what happened to your friend. I just think that labeling users as a "waste of societies resources" oversimplifies things. There are plenty of well to do smackheads and users of other recreational drugs who hold down good jobs and normal lives and although they aren't doing their health any favours they can't really be described as a drain on societies resources.

The ****ed up people who's lives fall apart tend to be ****ed up anyway, and if smack wasn't there they would find something else, be it alcohol or another illegal drug. Once they are in it's a very hard habit to break, because they usually have little else to look forward to in their lives, which is why they ended up there looking for escape in the first place. The drugs certainly don't help but they are rarely the root cause IMO, often there is a history of depression, mental illness, abuse and so on that predates the drugs. And of course the addiction often leads to crime which makes it harder to find a way back to normality as well.

It's all very sad IMO.
    I'm sure a lot of people take heroin recreationally with not issues, given he was a Oscar winning actor and had made recent movies as well as doing all the PR stuff, equating him to a junkie on skid row is naive at best. He could have been unlucky and had a deadly batch or something.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by Flashman View Post
    Captain Stransky in Cross of Iron. RIP.
    Cross of Iron might as well be titled I Hate Middle Managers, but it is enjoyable bunk even without that message

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    First reaction. Who?
    2nd reaction. Oh.

Anyway was sad to hear Maximillian Schell passed on. Austrian-Swiss film and stage star. Excellent in 'Judgement at Nuremburg'. No war movie seemingly complete with out him.

mad scientist in sci-fi film The Black Hole. Captain Stransky in Cross of Iron. RIP.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    There is a world of difference between medical Diamorphine and Heroin that doesn't warrant a discussion.
    I'd agree, and I'm not trying to belittle what happened to your friend. I just think that labeling users as a "waste of societies resources" oversimplifies things. There are plenty of well to do smackheads and users of other recreational drugs who hold down good jobs and normal lives and although they aren't doing their health any favours they can't really be described as a drain on societies resources.

The ****ed up people who's lives fall apart tend to be ****ed up anyway, and if smack wasn't there they would find something else, be it alcohol or another illegal drug. Once they are in it's a very hard habit to break, because they usually have little else to look forward to in their lives, which is why they ended up there looking for escape in the first place. The drugs certainly don't help but they are rarely the root cause IMO, often there is a history of depression, mental illness, abuse and so on that predates the drugs. And of course the addiction often leads to crime which makes it harder to find a way back to normality as well.

It's all very sad IMO.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Um, Oscar winning actor, been in lots of movies.
    Have to say WTOPS - Never heard of the fella.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I have to admit I'd never heard of him either, despite him apparently being the greatest actor in the history of the planet.

Apparently this bloke had been off the stuff for 23 years, and then for whatever reason had a relapse. Which is sad in that it probably seemed to all the world that he'd beaten it for good. But I don't have a lot of sympathy for dead addicts in general.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    But it's the same stuff. That's the point.

Lots of people are pumped full of strong opiates all the time and don't go off the rails or kill themselves. The drugs don't automatically "destroy lives", to most people they make a huge positive difference. I for one would be unable to function without them. Does that make me a "waste of societies resources"?
    Doodab

I am aware of your situation and don't mean to make light of it. There is a world of difference between medical Diamorphine and Heroin that doesn't warrant a discussion.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Unix View Post
    First remember him in Scent of a woman, he had a small part but stood out.

All natural drugs should be legalised, anything that grows naturally should be legal. The government could clear the deficit from the tax if they legalised and regulated drugs simultaneously winning the drug war and saving thousands of lives. Ban alcohol.
    Bansturbator!

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    First remember him in Scent of a woman, he had a small part but stood out.

All natural drugs should be legalised, anything that grows naturally should be legal. The government could clear the deficit from the tax if they legalised and regulated drugs simultaneously winning the drug war and saving thousands of lives. Ban alcohol.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X