• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "German company making vinyl records"

Collapse

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I have a record that plays from the inside out and one that never finishes (it was purposely made with a small scratch on the runout groove so it just skips all the time.) Remember 'A Porky Prime Cut?'
    I Am The Beat by The Look does that with the word beat being repeated over and over.

(1981? Showing my age lol)

I also remember a group called Gaye Bikers On Acid who produced a limited edition version of one of their albums with no hole in the middle of the disc.

The name of the LP? "Drill Your Own Hole"

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I have a record that plays from the inside out and one that never finishes (it was purposely made with a small scratch on the runout groove so it just skips all the time.) Remember 'A Porky Prime Cut?'

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
    I seem to remember that, as a young gal, I had a turntable that span at 16 rpm. I have never seen nor heard of any record that would play at this speed. It would be inneresting to hear from anyone who has....
    Here you go:

Holy Bible The Complete New Testament 26 16 RPM Records | eBay

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I seem to remember something about 16s being for voice recordings - which makes sense as they'd be longer and lower quality. But that might be cobblers. What rpm did the original turn the handle trumpet gramophones use?

My Dad had a turntable with 16,33,45,78 too, and you didn't need to change the belts.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    my first had 4 speeds

16, 33.33, 45 and 78

I think 16's were effectively 7 inch albums - although I think I (and by that I mean my dad) only had one.
    My pop had a 78 rpm version of I Was Born Under A Wandering Star by Lee Marvin.

Imagine that played at 16 rpm!

All I can say is that some structural damage was done!

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I've got a pile of my nonna's Mario Lanza 78s in the loft.

Don't know if they're worth anything. Probably not. I also had a 78 rpm version of Rock Around The Clock. That probably was worth something. Shame I dropped it and it smashed into smithereens.

I don't have a turntable that spins at 78 rpm though. It's hard enough switching between 33rpm and 45 rpm as it involves removing the turntable itself and fitting the belt onto one or other of 2 wheels (for want of a better word).

I seem to remember that, as a young gal, I had a turntable that span at 16 rpm. I have never seen nor heard of any record that would play at this speed. It would be inneresting to hear from anyone who has....
    my first had 4 speeds

16, 33.33, 45 and 78

I think 16's were effectively 7 inch albums - although I think I (and by that I mean my dad) only had one.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Ok.

Who's got 78s & sommat to play them on?
    I've got a pile of my nonna's Mario Lanza 78s in the loft.

Don't know if they're worth anything. Probably not. I also had a 78 rpm version of Rock Around The Clock. That probably was worth something. Shame I dropped it and it smashed into smithereens.

I don't have a turntable that spins at 78 rpm though. It's hard enough switching between 33rpm and 45 rpm as it involves removing the turntable itself and fitting the belt onto one or other of 2 wheels (for want of a better word).

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Jeez who has phyiscal copies of music nowadays!

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I like CDs. They're shiny. And to kids these days, that's still as ridiculously out of date as someone who likes vinyl.

I also like Dr Holly Marten.
    Yes but those nasty shiny plastic cases are easily broken with a misplaced stiletto heel.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I like CDs. They're shiny. And to kids these days, that's still as ridiculously out of date as someone who likes vinyl.

I also like Dr Holly Marten.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Inneresting but I don't think it has really died out.

The local branch of FNAC boasted shelves that are positively groaning with new vinyl. Too chart acts too. Serious bands though not any teenybob rubbish.

I'm lucky enough to have a collector's record shop in my home town and I'm like a little kid in a sweatshop spending literally a couple of hours perusing each time I visit.

Believe it or not, there's a hell of a lot if stuff you just cannot by in a digital format for love nor money.

I'm a huge Maddie Prior fan and I also love Renaissance. There's quite a bit of maddy/steeleye on digital but a hell of a lot of the cataligue has been deleted and the only way to pick any up is to visit shops like this and record fairs.

And then again, too many to mention

Do you really code for a living ???

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    Yes I agree totally. I think it's the moment I slide it out of the inner sleeve that I enjoy most.
    I know exactly what you mean.

You can't beat the feeling of coming home with a bunch of unreleased white labels / test presses either.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    I still get a real kick out of going record shopping. There is something exciting about getting home from say Blackmarket Records, opening your bag and placing the record on the turntable having had a chat with the shop staff and other regulars.
    Yes I agree totally. I think it's the moment I slide it out of the inner sleeve that I enjoy most.

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    I still get a real kick out of going record shopping. There is something exciting about getting home from say Blackmarket Records, opening your bag and placing the record on the turntable having had a chat with the shop staff and other regulars.

Leave a comment:

• Gittins Gal
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Sweetshop peut etre?
    Oops. Well spotted ha ha!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X