• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Agents - looking after contractors?????"

Collapse

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Would Bryan Pickard be our very own SASguru by any chance?
    No, I'm Sasguru, errr, Bryan Pickard, errr...

Leave a comment:

• lORD lUCAN
    replied
    Excellent ! Sounds like a cross dresser Only at the weekend hey Brenda....

http://www.tofla.iconbar.com/tofla/c...ianp/index.htm
    Last edited by lORD lUCAN; 16 August 2006, 13:23.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    Never been. I have a long-term contract with holidays paid which is actually very near to expiration.
    Aping your contractor friends Francko?

Leave a comment:

• djfoot
    replied
    Nope...'tis I....Pseudonym used to protect the guilty....

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    I have a long-term contract with holidays paid
    LOL!

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Bryan Pickard, SAS business analyst, said of such an agent, "I expect to be best man at their wedding, be godparent to their children, and they to mine. We will exchange birthday cards and Christmas gifts, and support each other when times get tough... of course, in the real world, it is nothing like this."

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Frankco is a permie, innit?
    Never been. I have a long-term contract with holidays paid which is actually very near to expiration.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    And agreeing with the commodity theme, Frankco, IT architect for a financial consultancy, said, "The empathy element is often missing in the agent-contractor relationship. That's not a very useful approach in the long run, for companies and contractors both."
    Frankco is a permie, innit?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Writing on the CUK bulletin board, one contractor with the pen name DimPrawn, put forward his opinion of how contractors relate to agents, "Clients are the supermarkets, agents are the slaughterhouses and we are the cattle."

I thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Torran
    replied
    Fame at last for the Prawn and the Monkey

http://www.contractoruk.com/002804.html

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    IT Contracting "Agents" are not agents, they're brokers. And their fee is paid by the client, who is therefore their customer.

I think the practical difference is that in sports and showbiz the contractor gets one agent (and pays them) and the client will deal with any agent that's got the goods; whereas in IT the client gets an agent or two (and pays them), so it's the contractor that has to deal with any agent that's got the goods.

I.e. in sports what's on sale is the sportsman, and the club is a buyer; in IT it's the job, and the contractor is the buyer.
    Bloody hell expat. That sums it up so nicely.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    IT Contracting "Agents" are not agents, they're brokers. And their fee is paid by the client, who is therefore their customer.

I think the practical difference is that in sports and showbiz the contractor gets one agent (and pays them) and the client will deal with any agent that's got the goods; whereas in IT the client gets an agent or two (and pays them), so it's the contractor that has to deal with any agent that's got the goods.

I.e. in sports what's on sale is the sportsman, and the club is a buyer; in IT it's the job, and the contractor is the buyer.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    Mr Anderson?

"Mr Anderson?"

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    Mr Anderson?
    Who me or the agent? Neither in any case. Maybe they all get given the same cheesy lines to recite.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenerGrass
    When I was with Best in 2001 I used to get taken out for a pub lunch about once every 6 months, which cost about the same as their % cut for one hour of my work. And he had the nerve to say "we're good to you aren't we?".
    Still thats more than most agencies do for you.

I once got given an invoice by mistake (someone picked it up from the fax machine as it had my name on it) which showed their true cut was about 5% more than they had claimed.
    Mr Anderson?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X