• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Forgive me for my sins"

Collapse

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Ok installed and working! Works perfectly apart from one problem:

It crashes if you let the mac go to sleep whilst Parallels is running in full screen mode

At least I can run Sage so I can port my accounts over now.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    Fantastic - that is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. Thanks for the heads up.
    You are welcome. Another plus for Parallels Desktop is that for Bootcamp you need a CD with XP SP2, you can't load XP SP1 then upgrade.

So if you don't have the XP SP2 distribution, you can save on buying one.

[Sysman in cheapskate contractor mode.]

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Put some "Beep" commands in...

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Have I mentioned that I now take into account locality of processor cache when choosing or designing my own most performant algorithm?
    MMMMMMMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! !! (whimper)

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman
    You should also look at Parallels Desktop for Mac. It gives you a virtual machine, rather than the dual boot solution of Bootcamp.

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

"Use any full version of Windows (3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, Me, 2000, NT, XP, 2003), any Linux distribution, FreeBSD, Solaris, OS/2, eComStation, or MS-DOS in secure virtual machines running alongside – not instead of - Mac OS X."
    Fantastic - that is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. Thanks for the heads up.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    I wouldn't have a Mac if it wasn't x86. I only bought one as the purchase risk is mitigated by the fact that it runs windows as well via Bootcamp.
    You should also look at Parallels Desktop for Mac. It gives you a virtual machine, rather than the dual boot solution of Bootcamp.

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

"Use any full version of Windows (3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, Me, 2000, NT, XP, 2003), any Linux distribution, FreeBSD, Solaris, OS/2, eComStation, or MS-DOS in secure virtual machines running alongside – not instead of - Mac OS X."

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    Otherwise you'll destroy my fantasy that IT has been a piece of piss over the last 10 years....
    Have I mentioned that I now take into account locality of processor cache when choosing or designing my own most performant algorithm?

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    TheMonkey and AtW - stop scaring me. You should be talking about dragging and dropping controls in the design screen in VS .net - not all this complicated stuff like threads and mutexes.

Otherwise you'll destroy my fantasy that IT has been a piece of piss over the last 10 years....

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Fleetwood
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Mods - put this into Technical, FFS.

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Mods - put this into Technical, FFS.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    This sucks badly - debugger really helps in compex code, I wasted lots of time debugging function with inclined assembly blindly

Anyway, these things can happen - overall .net is suprisingly good with high performance, it could have been a lot worse.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    It happena only when the debugger is attached, which leaves a good catch-22 situation. Basically I end up having to code blindly.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Does it happen when you run it standalone? The bug that I found was in framework itself, VS 2005 is a lot better IDE than VS 2003 that is slow in some debugging scenarios. The only thing that really pissed me off about both is that you can't debug C++ code with inlined assembly, even when stepping in Disassembly window!

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Either then or when a thread is created.

It's definitely a race / deadlock under VS2005 as if you use the command line debugger it doesn't hang.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Does it hang when trying to bind to socket, is it under VS 2005 or something else?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X