• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The 'Mediterranean Diet' again"

Collapse

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    I don't get why people don't just invest in an exercise bike or similar.
    You have to do a lot of exercise to counteract a bad diet

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    As long as there are some tasty accompaniments to go with that Greek salad, I'd be okay with a Mediterranean diet.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Well I took notice of the article and started today after leaving work this evening. First stop was a Kebab, Greek style, followed by some Budino al Cioccolato

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    Exercise machines aren't used properly by the majority of people plus people quickly use them as clothes horses.

Best thing to do is do some exercise you enjoy and/or have to use as a means of transport like walking or cycling.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    I'm on the primal diet. There is considerable overlap between it and the Med diet.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    There are studies backing your theory on climate up.

Both people in the Med and Japan while they eat healthier than Brits have some horrible habits e.g. smoking but remain fitter for longer.

Brits also aren't active enough.

When I work in cities in the UK then work outside I'm always shocked by how fat people are generally outside a city.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Both people in the Med and Japan while they eat healthier than Brits have some horrible habits e.g. smoking but remain fitter for longer.

When I work in cities in the UK then work outside I'm always shocked by how fat people are generally outside a city.
    Quite a lot of people in Italy enjoy a lunch with dried sausages and ham, which are rather fat, sandwiches with butter, and a cake in the afternoon. The big difference is that they tend to walk to and from the places where they eat, and if that happens to involve going up and down a steep hill, as in many towns in Italy, they get extra exercise. A lot of people there go cycling or walking at weekends too.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I think this in general.

I always feel better when in and around the med because you can just go for a walk whenever, you often sit outside, it is easier to eat fruit/veg as a raw snack/appetiser etc when it is warm (not so appitising in the uk when the wind n rain are trying to break the window)

etc etc

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    I can't hep the sarcasm. It's what CUK has made me into, and I'm not proud of it.
    I'd get all superior about that if only I could

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Leaving out the sarcasm, I do agree, and never suggested otherwise. Both have their place. And indeed the evidence is complex and conflicting. What upsets me is people who suggest that it isn't (sorry if I took you for one such).
    I can't hep the sarcasm. It's what CUK has made me into, and I'm not proud of it.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Let's cut the extremes and see thing from a "middelpunt". Day one in Cloggers (not UK, not Med). High street. Gone to the equivalent of Greggs. Soon noticed that the middle aged (40s-50s) female attendants were considerably more attractive and fitter than the British counterparts (if you don't take Central London into consideration, because that would be 99% extra fit EE women as shop attendants).

So it's not just media hype.

But I don't think it's all about the food. It's the British way of life that wears you down, everybody seems so relaxed, yet productive here. They even look you in the eye when serving you.

Leave a comment:

• russell
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    +1
    Great documentary

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    and the full movie!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I was always puzzled why in the Middle East they are eating lamb and rice saturated with fat but they were living to a ripe old age.

There could also be the sun factor because warm weather thins the blood.
    I think this in general.

I always feel better when in and around the med because you can just go for a walk whenever, you often sit outside, it is easier to eat fruit/veg as a raw snack/appetiser etc when it is warm (not so appitising in the uk when the wind n rain are trying to break the window)

etc etc

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    The truth is that it is controversial and complex, with conflicting evidence. That is not IMO a very good reason for chucking out the olive oil and replacing in with lard, but I am not one to stand in the way of Darwinism.

Saturated fat and cardiovascular disease controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Leaving out the sarcasm, I do agree, and never suggested otherwise. Both have their place. And indeed the evidence is complex and conflicting. What upsets me is people who suggest that it isn't (sorry if I took you for one such).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X