• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Awesome news!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Awesome news!"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Beckham was a good player, but not great. He had a great engine and a sweet right foot.

He stopped being a very good player in about 2002, when he wasn't fit and had a mediocre world cup.

He also had a mediocre Euro 2004, but descended to being a liability in 2006. His dead-ball kicking was poor. He takes every single corner and free kick when he is on the pitch, a dozen a game, so the law of averages says that some of them must result in goals. Many more didn't even clear the first defender.

He's over the hill as far as England are concerned, and should have gone earlier.
    Oi Snaw and Atw. The above is a true and concise summary of the facts.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    LOL snaw, take it easy mate, its just football!

Its way too easy to wind you up

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Jealousy has got nothing to do with it - all England team footballers earn a sh1tload of money - some more, some less, but its still loads of money. I am not jealous even though I feel contempt for some of the players like Beckham, say I don't see Owen or Terry or pretty much anyone else to show off like that tw@t.
    And this has what to do with his talent and ability on the field?

Originally posted by AtW
    Owen seems out of form, pity, but he has not got attitude problem like Beckham because Owen is a team player, where as selfish Beckham thinks more about the extra tens of millions he can earn on external marketing contract by being Captain rather than how he actually performs.
    Owen's been injured you mong, and got injured a few games in to his comeback. Pretty hard to hit form after 3-4 games when you've been out for most of the season. And you'd struggle to find a fan who would accuse Beckham of no giving his all in his countries shirt, and it's reason the Madrid fans love him - he tries.

Originally posted by AtW
    IMO Lennon did very well in the short time he had - certainly pity Sven did not use him more.
    Beckham offered more, quite simply, and was effective. AL is a good young player, and played well when he came on as a sub at the end of games, but that's an easy time to look good. The reason England didn't play well isn't down to Beckham playing or AL not.

Originally posted by AtW
    Who is better on set pieces? That's not important - the important thing in a team is to ensure there are no selfish twat's who have no team spirit - Beckham was one of them, certainly the main one, probably the only one, which is why its good he was dropped.
    Team sprit was fantastic in the England squad, all the players said so. None of the players had a problem with Becks, and feck knows where this selfishness you keep waffling on about comes from or was manifested. Your talking complete pish. And BTW Set pieces are crucial, if you don't know that then STFU.

Originally posted by AtW
    And this idea that same person takes penalties or corners is profoundly wrong - something English penalty taking shows time after time, but that's another story and mainly manager's fault.

New manager seems good by the way, I hope he will succeed.
    Beckham doesn't take Englands penalties (You'd know that of course), but his corners and set pieces are of the very very highest order possible, consistently.

New manager seems good - what based on him dropping Beckham? You really have no idea, do you.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw
    Right, I think I've twigged to it now, your jealous of someone that doesn't have a commy haircut and a dodgy tache ...
    Jealousy has got nothing to do with it - all England team footballers earn a sh1tload of money - some more, some less, but its still loads of money. I am not jealous even though I feel contempt for some of the players like Beckham, say I don't see Owen or Terry or pretty much anyone else to show off like that tw@t.

Owen seems out of form, pity, but he has not got attitude problem like Beckham because Owen is a team player, where as selfish Beckham thinks more about the extra tens of millions he can earn on external marketing contract by being Captain rather than how he actually performs.

IMO Lennon did very well in the short time he had - certainly pity Sven did not use him more.

Who is better on set pieces? That's not important - the important thing in a team is to ensure there are no selfish twat's who have no team spirit - Beckham was one of them, certainly the main one, probably the only one, which is why its good he was dropped.

And this idea that same person takes penalties or corners is profoundly wrong - something English penalty taking shows time after time, but that's another story and mainly manager's fault.

New manager seems good by the way, I hope he will succeed.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Beckham has got big attitude problem - compare him with Owen who is a humble player who only wants to play to score, where as Beckham is a show off - no wonder Ferguson told him to fok off and he did the right thing, just like new manager did: regardless of ability there should not be place for such tw@ts like Beckham - he should take job of a hair designer as its something he is undoubtly very good at.

My knowledge of football is not great, but from what I understand the fact that Beckham somehow made Sven put him to play all the time regardless of his form, it made it difficult to play formations that would have allowed some other good players who had good form to play in their preferred (and thus optimal) positions. Now that's a very selfish attitude that no team player should ever have.
    Right, I think I've twigged to it now, your jealous of someone that doesn't have a commy haircut and a dodgy tache ...

I like Owen as a player, but you seem to place a great deal of admirable attributes on him. He might not be in the spotlight in the same way Beckham is, but go ask some Liverpool fans what they think of him and you might get a bit of a shock. he's a player who put's himself before his team, and is at a club at the moment for purely mercenary reasons, which is fine by Geordies cause he'll score goals (Whenever he pulls on a jersey again). You want humble go look check Stevie G or JT.

And your example is bollocks, he was England captain so of course he played every game. Who was waiting to replace him - Aaron Lennon; decent young player who made an impact at the easy end of the England games he appeared in but when he got the chance with Becks injury wasn't quite so flash (Though he'll improve). He justified his inclusion in the starting line up during the WC easily and shut up a few of the red tops in the process.

Name a better set piece taker in the world right now? That alone justifies his inclusion in the modern game where the majority of goals at the international level come from set pieces.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Beckham has got big attitude problem - compare him with Owen who is a humble player who only wants to play to score, where as Beckham is a show off - no wonder Ferguson told him to fok off and he did the right thing, just like new manager did: regardless of ability there should not be place for such tw@ts like Beckham - he should take job of a hair designer as its something he is undoubtly very good at.

My knowledge of football is not great, but from what I understand the fact that Beckham somehow made Sven put him to play all the time regardless of his form, it made it difficult to play formations that would have allowed some other good players who had good form to play in their preferred (and thus optimal) positions. Now that's a very selfish attitude that no team player should ever have.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Exactly: snaw's of this world think that scoring goals is everything, but clearly England does not score enough, its like conversion in sales - you have X leads (corners, penalties) but not all of them convert - you don't hail saleman who gets 1 out of 10 leads if its possible to get 2 out of 10 (as proven by competitors for example), thus such saleman gets kicked out by virtue of raising his/her target and new person comes in who will convert better.

Simple stuff, but not for Beckham's ego for which alone he should have been kicked out because one person should not put his own vanity interests before team's success.

WTF are you on about? He got two assists and a winning goal, pretty decent stats in a world cup - he contributed more in the WC than most of his team mates (how many did Lamps miss the target with?), he was the top assist player in Spain last year and has een one of the few shining lights in a very underperforming Madrid team over the last few years. Just because he's not on MOTD every Saturday in full public glare doesn't mean he turned into a bad player.

When you start talking footy I'll start listening AtW, but so far you're just talking tulipe, it's a great example of you yet again being completely unable to shutup on a subject you clearly know SFA about. And all this bollocks about his ego being bigger than the team - show me one example of where his vanity came before the team, just one?

BTW Corners AtW every team has one (or two) designated corner takers, please stop displaying your ignorance and talking out yer arse.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    How about Steve Gerrards as the next England Captain Wendigo?
    Well, Terry's got the job. I think that four points went against Gerrard:

A lot of players say that it is better being captain at the back because the game is easier to see - it is all in front of you.

A second point is that Gerrard's strength is said by his fans to be "leading by example", which only goes so far. At international level you need more.

Thirdly, Gerrard is less certain of his place than Terry. Gerrard has had his moments, but he hasn't yet "grabbed a game by the scruff of the neck" for England, as he has for Liverpool.

Lastly, Terry was already doing most of the talking on the pitch while Beckham was still captain, so I suppose it was a natural progression to make it official.

I also have a feeling that Terry does a lot more "captaincy" behind the scenes at his club than Gerrard.

Leave a comment:

• ALM
    replied
    Football NewsFlash from a Parallel Universe

Ukraine 0 Switzerland 0

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    True yet due to the lack of strikers in the England team he still managed to get his name on the score sheet.
    Its about conversion Alf, and relative difference with alternative conversion that could have been had if other person took corners. Come to think of that - wtf one single person takes all corners? What kind of fool would put so much risk into one single person who can be injuried and others don't get real life practice? FFS, diversification is a common sense, also helps avoid some twat's ambition that can blackmail manager because he is such a goal scorer.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Beckham was a good player, but not great. He had a great engine and a sweet right foot.

He stopped being a very good player in about 2002, when he wasn't fit and had a mediocre world cup.

He also had a mediocre Euro 2004, but descended to being a liability in 2006. His dead-ball kicking was poor. He takes every single corner and free kick when he is on the pitch, a dozen a game, so the law of averages says that some of them must result in goals. Many more didn't even clear the first defender.

He's over the hill as far as England are concerned, and should have gone earlier.

True yet due to the lack of strikers in the England team he still managed to get his name on the score sheet.

But the guy couldnt run to save himself.

How about Steve Gerrards as the next England Captain Wendigo?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    He takes every single corner and free kick when he is on the pitch, a dozen a game, so the law of averages says that some of them must result in goals.
    Exactly: snaw's of this world think that scoring goals is everything, but clearly England does not score enough, its like conversion in sales - you have X leads (corners, penalties) but not all of them convert - you don't hail saleman who gets 1 out of 10 leads if its possible to get 2 out of 10 (as proven by competitors for example), thus such saleman gets kicked out by virtue of raising his/her target and new person comes in who will convert better.

Simple stuff, but not for Beckham's ego for which alone he should have been kicked out because one person should not put his own vanity interests before team's success.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    As a Man U fan, I think Beckham was never any good after that Greece game where he played the game of his life. After that he never seemed to do it, first for Man U and then later for England.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    I have witness to the fact that I pedict AtW will always talk out of his bottom.

Next!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X