• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A special thanks to Labour...."

Collapse

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    You guys (and girls) don't know squat on what corruption can really be like. Ever been stopped by the police for passport checking whole purpose of which is to get a bribe out of you?
    Yes, in Africa (in my real expat days). You kind of kept in touch with how long it was since the government had last paid the police, because obviously cops have to eat too....

Leave a comment:

• lORD lUCAN
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    It's a different kind of "Great". As in "Greater London".

Anyway, I thought you were buried under a motorway somewhere...
    Nope, fortunately i was able to dig my way out and spend my time trawling dogging sites in and around "Greater" London

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Pardon, I meant this is how its referred to in Russia.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    UK is generally referred to as England in normal conversations, but officials use Great Britain when they really need to say The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by lORD lUCAN
    I love they way they still say "Great" Britain, when was the last time you looked out of your window and thought, hmm, yes, Britain is Great isn't
    It's a different kind of "Great". As in "Greater London".

Anyway, I thought you were buried under a motorway somewhere...

Leave a comment:

• lORD lUCAN
    replied
    I love they way they still say "Great" Britain, when was the last time you looked out of your window and thought, hmm, yes, Britain is Great isn't

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Time to put you down?
    I've not started making a disgusting smell so I think there's life in the old dog yet!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Time to put you down?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Ah yes, now I remember.

Ooops, looks like the old dogs memory is failing...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4642842.stm

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Have you not been following the news recently?
    Er, nope.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    Why's that then?
    Have you not been following the news recently?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Oh one more hint - if they ask you to touch a big stone then under no circumstances do so...
    Why's that then?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Its a nice flat, but $6k per month is nuts - this is very typically Russian way of doing things: not knowing where to stop.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    taking brides
    I though they normally headed in the western direction. Slave trading as well as corruption by the border officials.

Originally posted by AtW
    I hear rents in Russia doubled this year - this kind of stuff is unsustainable, they are building yet another bubble and its going to blow big time.
    It's not unknown at the moment for them to double in the middle of a tenancy etc. Here is a reasonable apartment (no idea if the area is any good but I think there are only bad areas and worse ones ) http://www.evans.ru/search/?id=23801

This is 72k USD per year. I believe this would cost in the region of 3-400k USD to buy. I don't understand why companies don't buy rather than rent - although I am sure there are reasons.

I did hear that some new build around the 150sq m mark was being touted at up to 1.5 mil USD.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X