• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Nach oder zu?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nach oder zu?"

Collapse

• Antman
    replied
    It's the way you tell 'em, Darmy.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    ==Woas sinn die dünnste Büscher der Welt?==

* Die gräischde Schoddische Auslandsinvestizionen.
    * Italienische Helde.
    * Bridische Kochkunschd.
    * Amerikanische Kulturgeschischte.
    * Österreischische Nobelpreisträger.
    * Sternschdunde der französischen Leischathletik
    * Glorreiche Schlachte der Schweizer Marine
    * Rostvorsorge inde italienischen Automobilindustrie
    * Peace ! - by Mahmud Achmadinedschad
    * Demokratie - vunn Erisch Honnecker

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    In England grade 5 also means 5mm.

HTH
    No it doesn't it means 5/8 of an inch.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    I know that this isn't quite German, but you should understand:

Vos vays a chazer von lokshen?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Which one do I use first? Generally I'll use 'nach' before zu in a sentence but I'm never sure of what when where how or why.

Eine yummy pizza bitte zu mit namen!
    Der Panzas kam nach Polen

Himler ist nicht zuhause, ist ging zu Starlingrad.

oops, mentioned the war again

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I try and read, listen to and speak a little German every day. I'm currently reading Moby Dick in German

Well done you.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
    I tried going to the hairdressers the other day.
    Google translate does not work as well as we think it does.
    The lady looked a little puzzled by my request when I showed her my phone, but she worked it out.
    Best bit of advice, don't ask for a grade 5. Over here (in Germany) it means 5mm, not the number of the thingy on the end of the clippers!
    In England grade 5 also means 5mm.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    You've only been in the country five minutes, where's all the knowledge coming from? Are you learning?

Grüß gott
    I try and read, listen to and speak a little German every day. I'm currently reading Moby Dick in German

Leave a comment:

• darrylmg
    replied
    Twenty years could come to pass I'd still not know.

These days when I hear people talking I'm thinking oh their speaking English. Then as they get closer I hear it's still Deutsch. It's weird the ear just starts to tune in even though their speaking too fast for me.
    I tried going to the hairdressers the other day.
    Google translate does not work as well as we think it does.
    The lady looked a little puzzled by my request when I showed her my phone, but she worked it out.
    Best bit of advice, don't ask for a grade 5. Over here (in Germany) it means 5mm, not the number of the thingy on the end of the clippers!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Getz bin ich richtig meschugge im Kopp von de ganze Gelaber.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    I'll take your word for it - it's been 20 years since I lived and worked in Germany. I would always have put the bitte at the end of the sentence, though - is it wrong or just uncommon?
    Twenty years could come to pass I'd still not know.

These days when I hear people talking I'm thinking oh their speaking English. Then as they get closer I hear it's still Deutsch. It's weird the ear just starts to tune in even though their speaking too fast for me.

Leave a comment:

• DirtyDog
    replied
    Danke aber nicht, all to often I hear folks say bitte in the middle, warum? Ich weiß nicht.
    I'll take your word for it - it's been 20 years since I lived and worked in Germany. I would always have put the bitte at the end of the sentence, though - is it wrong or just uncommon?

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    That makes good sense to me -
    It's all Greek to me

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Das gleiche
    You've only been in the country five minutes, where's all the knowledge coming from? Are you learning?

Grüß gott

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
    Eine yummy Pizza zum Mitnehmen bitte.

FTFY
    Danke aber nicht, all to often I hear folks say bitte in the middle, warum? Ich weiß nicht.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X