• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cameron's vision for Britain ..."

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I could be wrong but I think doodab's politcal persuasions lean every so slightly to the left of centre

I'm more interested in getting away from idealogues of any persuasion and looking at evidence. If you bother to look you will see for example that I've highlighted a number of measures on which the NHS can objectively said to be failing, and I've also pointed out that there is no evidence whatsoever that the private sector would do better for the same price. That's only "left of centre" in the sense that it means I disagree (for evidential reasons) with the popular right wing mantra that the private sector is inherently superior at delivering services, and it doesn't mean I think the public sector is inherently superior either. In fact as I pointed out, it doesn't seem to matter particularly much, it's the amount spent and what it's spent on that matters.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You weren't clarifying anything you were putting words in people's' mouths then insulting them for pointing out that it's not a black and white issue in every case.
    And avoiding any thought.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I could be wrong but I think doodab's politcal persuasions lean every so slightly to the left of centre

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    What do you think is my "worldview"?
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    That is not what I said. If you had any emotional intelligence you will see that I am simply trying to clarify what people are saying.
    You weren't clarifying anything you were putting words in people's' mouths then insulting them for pointing out that it's not a black and white issue in every case.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    There's a disconnect between your worldview and reality. Market competition should make a private health system more efficient than a public one. But in the real world laboratory - in healthcare - the US model suggests the opposite. I would suggest that the US health system is very good at delivering world class care to those who can afford it, but it is very bad at ensuring that the healthcare needs of the population are met, and at ensuring that costs are controlled for healthcare that is delivered.
    What do you think is my "worldview"?

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Let's all just vote Capita and let them get on with it

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    How the F*** would I know?
    There's a disconnect between your worldview and reality. Market competition should make a private health system more efficient than a public one. But in the real world laboratory - in healthcare - the US model suggests the opposite. I would suggest that the US health system is very good at delivering world class care to those who can afford it, but it is very bad at ensuring that the healthcare needs of the population are met, and at ensuring that costs are controlled for healthcare that is delivered.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I think it's safe to assume that you wouldn't. Whatever the question.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    The lefties then plunged in to defend the public sector and felt it my duty to put them to the sword
    Which you managed how? By ignoring what was actually said and failing miserably to put words into people's mouths? Or by baffling them with a level of stupidity so overwhelming that they had to give up lest they become advocates for forced sterilization?

You really are a prize plum.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    So how is the US health system more efficient?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    A sensible comment at last.

It is what is happening. The general theme however is that these "enterprises" are monopolies which is a highly dangerous state of affairs. Extend this monopolisation to the energy providers the banks and the FMCG companies and we can see that society is reverting back to totalitarianism.
    So how is the US health system more efficient?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    That is not what I said. If you had any emotional intelligence you will see that I am simply trying to clarify what people are saying.
    Bollocks. You are ignoring what people are saying in favour of standing up your own strawman arguments under the pretence of being unable to comprehend written English. All you are doing is making yourself seem exceedingly stupid, which is probably painting you in a flattering light.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    The dispute arose from OLd G's assertion that because the Tories were cutting back on public services they were revealing an agenda to get rid of them altogether. The lefties then plunged in to defend the public sector and felt it my duty to put them to the sword
    I know. I'm just amazed everyone took what he said seriously.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Is there really any difference now? With the proliferation of PFI and the secondment of private company employees working in the public sector and vice versa I think the lines are pretty much blurred. As it is, public sector services seem to be slowly being privatised, everyone knows about railways and power but there are such services like the government owned oil and gas pipelines or the defense procurement agencies or your court appointed lawyer or your prisons which are, or have been, privatised without much fanfare.
    A sensible comment at last.

It is what is happening. The general theme however is that these "enterprises" are monopolies which is a highly dangerous state of affairs. Extend this monopolisation to the energy providers the banks and the FMCG companies and we can see that society is reverting back to totalitarianism.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X