• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Leftist propoganda?"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    BUT there is no account taken of the reduction in corporation tax
    It's possible that it was taken into account but the article did not mention it.

My guess would be that Treasury can get 70%+ in indirect taxes from the person who gets a bit more money on top of minimum wage, where as corp tax is optional for some people and those who pay it will do so at 20% rate at best.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    What should really happen is that companies get tax credit for the amount of NI/PAYE their employees pay that can be offset against Corp Tax that company pays.

This would encourage employment in this country and will be good for shareholders.

There would be no point to pay higher PAYE taxes in order to reduce corp tax, so I reckon tax cheating will be limited and those firms that help generate tax take by providing employment will be rewarded appropriately.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    There's no such thing as macro economics.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Stumbling and Mumbling: Living Wage macroeconomics

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I always make sure that I leave a restaurant with a smarter coat than the one I wore when I came in.
    Except when you're blind dating Kent Phillip.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Maybe Dodgy nicked their last coat while they were queuing for the food bank.
    I always make sure that I leave a restaurant with a smarter coat than the one I wore when I came in.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    How is a winter coat an unforeseen expense?
    Maybe Dodgy nicked their last coat while they were queuing for the food bank.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Mine was a bar tab I'd forgotten about at the Red Lion.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    General Secretary Frances O’Grady said: “The UK is in the midst of a living standards crisis, and while the economy is slowly starting to recover, ordinary people are a long way from feeling any benefit.

“Money is so tight that any unforeseen expenses – like a winter coat for the children or repairing a broken cooker – are forcing families to borrow just to keep their heads above water.”

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    It's working out well in Detroit for car production, yeah for wage inflation!
    It did at the time.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    The more money you give these people the more they will spend, increasing demand. That is what makes the economy tick, and IMO it would be far more sensible to have a bit of wage inflation than more personal debt at the current juncture.

The well known Trotskyite Henry Ford had a similar idea almost 100 years ago.

Henry Ford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It's working out well in Detroit for car production, yeah for wage inflation!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Note that the calculation of this £3.2bn boost for the exchequer includes the increased tax and NI take from the employees and increased employer's NI BUT there is no account taken of the reduction in corporation tax, tax/NI paid by bosses or the fact that reduced profits will mean less employees taken on with negative effects on tax and welfare.
    There is no account of the savings on the benefits bill or the increased VAT take from them spending the money either. Or the overall economic effect of increasing consumer demand.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    The more money you give these people the more they will spend, increasing demand. That is what makes the economy tick, and IMO it would be far more sensible to have a bit of wage inflation than more personal debt at the current juncture.

The well known Trotskyite Henry Ford had a similar idea almost 100 years ago.

Henry Ford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Allowing companies to pay low pages then topping up with benefits is a taxpayer subsidy to those companies. Make them pay proper wages and save wealthy taxpayers like me the money

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Minimum wage / living wage is just a full-on vote-winning scam, soaked up by the economically illiterate masses who don't realise it's exactly those kinds of policies that impoverish them in the first place.

Let prices do their thing - that's what they're for!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X