• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Things to do in Wales"

Collapse

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by Antman View Post
    Rhosili looks very pretty a bit out of the way though, I've just noticed dinosaur world near Tenby unfortunately it closes at the start of November.
    Given they've all been dead for 65 million years it's a wonder that it managed to stay open until now!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I have to admit to liking the Brecon Beacons after going there a couple of times as a lad on an Outward Bound course. Went back many times afterwards on either the motorbike or in a car, camping and living on the land and visiting the jazz festival in Brecon. Took Frau D. a couple of years back and she was quite impressed. Also the mushrooms are pretty good at this time of year

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
    Just so that I can picture it in my mind:
    1) Was the beach literally the size of Blackpool? ( about 34.92 km²)
    2) Was there literally no one else there?
    3) Both?
    4) Neither?
    Um, well a part of Blackpool, and there may have been one or two people in the far distance.

Also, on second thoughts perhaps Bardsey Island isn't ideal for a 4 day Christmas family break.

According to the Wikipedia article on it, the monastery there was dissolved in 1537. So you won't be able to hear monks chanting (unless you believe in ghosts and have a vivid imagination.)

It also mentions that there were only 4 people living on the island in 2002, which is fine if these people run the local B&B, corner shop, and pub, but probably not otherwise.

and apparently "Sometimes boats are unable to reach or leave Bardsey Island for weeks, and in 2000 seventeen island visitors became stranded for two weeks when gales prevented a boat going to rescue them".

But on the plus side, it is great for wildlife, especially bird watching and sea lion spotting.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Brynmawr is where ZeitMog (bless her) came from.

Lucky that curry house wasn't there at the time.
    And Mrs A. We may well be related. although I'm sure that she hasn't got any Lizard blood.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    The only pub I ever went to in Bryn Mawr was just down the road, Y Gwesty Bach.

The firm I worked for had the 1st & 2nd floors above the hairdressers. When the restaurant next door went bust, we rented that too, which was a step too far.

Big ideas etc.
    The Gwesty has gone back to its original name of The Clarence recently but is still there. The restaurant became Brynmawr's first Indian takeaway.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Mackerel sashimi is usually cured in salt and vinegar. You might be able to eat it without that if it's straight out of the sea but I've never tried.
    Yep, it's good straight out of the sea with a bit of that wasabi stuffage or even a few drops of tabasco. Catch, fillet, eat.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Rhossili Bay Beach - Swansea - Voted 10th best beach in the world by Trip Advisor!
    All round Gower and the Mumbles round Swansea is recommended.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Above "Kutz & Kurls".

Interesting that the entrance corridor appears to have gone.
    I think it's just a flat above there now. Must have been a fair few years ago. Was The Talisman called The Chartist back then?

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Go sea angling, see some dolfins catch some mackerel and maybe a dogfish or a ray, cook it, eat. Or don't cook it and make the freshest sashimi you can find.

Unfortunately it's probably rather rough and chilly on the sea at the moment.
    Mackerel sashimi is usually cured in salt and vinegar. You might be able to eat it without that if it's straight out of the sea but I've never tried.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Zeity used to work in Bryn Mawr many years ago, just across the road from the cinema.
    Bill's Fancy Goods perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Lots of walks, and if the kids want to see a real coal mine, Big Pit (or Bryn Mawr) is worth a visit.
    I think you mean Pwll Mawr. Brynmawr is the market town further up the valley and means Big Hill.

But I'd second a visit to Big Pit, fascinating place with a really good underground tour.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Rhossili.

If you're lucky you can watch the sheep falling over the cliffs.

Is that equivalent of falling start/make a wish kind of thing in Wales?

Rhossili is very nice...

Leave a comment:

• amcdonald
    replied
    Go to a comedy club and dai laughing

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied

This lad seems to have it sorted. At least it's not raining on him, like it is on all the Cymro that have ventured out of their caves...

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    <snip>- Last time I visited in august with a couple of friends, we had a beach the size of Blackpool literally all to ourselves!<snip>
    Just so that I can picture it in my mind:
    1) Was the beach literally the size of Blackpool? ( about 34.92 km²)
    2) Was there literally no one else there?
    3) Both?
    4) Neither?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X