• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mathematical Problem"

Collapse

• Freaki Li Cuatre
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    sorry looks like they have meddled.

The documentation is vague I suspect the Make version does import / export Google, its a powerful feature.
    Yes, it looks like that functionality is available in Make.

In fact, the possibilities are much more than just superimposing a scaled pic of a chimney on a photo.

My understanding is that I can get an existing 3d representation of a chimney (model) from some online store, scale it to the right size and stick it in the right location on the area I've imported into Sketchup from Google Earth.

But it gets better than that. Because the google earth model has terrain, I should , in theory, be able to assess whether or not the chimney is visible from various locations on the map.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    heh heh.

i suppose we could attach the snot-rocket to an Saturn V, and see how long it takes them to clear the chimbley
    Ftfy

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Well, there's a joke about a vanishing point in there but it won't quite come to me.
    heh heh.

i suppose we could attach the snot-rocket to an appollo, and see how long it takes them to clear the chimbley

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    do we have to use a camera ?

whats wrong with sasgurus knob-length
    Well, there's a joke about a vanishing point in there but it won't quite come to me.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    do we have to use a camera ?

whats wrong with sasgurus knob-length

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    It has to be an imaginary camera cos the chimbley doesn;t exist yet. Apart from that - winner!

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    get a lader and go up the chimbley.
    turn the camera end over end to get the chimblie in camera units

measure the camera then do the calculation

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    put the camera next to the chimbley.
    measure the length of the shadow

compare the chimblies shadow to the camera shadow, then calculate using the cameras height

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    A few of you may be on to something here - just build the chimney and take another picture. Job done.

And it might be quicker.
    put your camera next to the chimbley. take a photo then measure the size of the camera.

calculate the chimbley in camera units

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    A few of you may be on to something here - just build the chimney and take another picture. Job done.

And it might be quicker.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    take your wonderful camera to the top. drop it off and time the descent.

at 32 feet per second/per second, it wont take long to determine the height

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
    How do I work out what size to make the chimney in my montage?
    Just remember that your chimney is never quite as big as you think it is....

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    This is why you don't ask code monkeys about anything non code monkeyish.

They haven't got a friggin clue outside their tiny realm of angle brackets and semicolons.

Here, you talking about me?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    This is why you don't ask code monkeys about anything non code monkeyish.

They haven't got a friggin clue outside their tiny realm of angle brackets and semicolons.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
    Does the object have to be at the same distance or can I use any object if I know it's height regardless of its distance ?
    If you use an object at the same distance as the chimney then it should scale the same. Otherwise you'll have to use one of the other formulae to work out the image size when it moves to the correct distance.
    Btw, not an expert, just suggesting possible solutions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X