• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Du aber Sie?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Du aber Sie?"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    There's 49 possible inflections for adjectives in German. 49!

The best one to use is 'Imbiß' or 'Bude' Deutsch. As even Germans have problems then just use the 'd' or 'n' as in: "gib mir noch n'Bier" or "Ich möchte d'Pommes mit d'Soße." Some here: Imbiss-Deutsch

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    That's awful.

She's a lovely woman from the Ukraine, no shelf is too high for dusting, couch pulled for the vacuum. Until recently I employed someone from England, attention to detail was absent and he would disappear with the money the moment my back was turned only working a couple of hours when three were paid. Lazy so in so.
    Does she have the right to work in Germany?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Mann beißt Hund:

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    What amazes me is that a) something so unbelievably complicated evolved among primitive uneducated people, and b) in the couple of thousand years since nobody thought it would be nice to simplify it. In English we dropped all the cases (apart from with pronouns), drastically simplified our conjugations, got rid of the nonsense of assigning arbitrary genders to inanimate objects, AND adopted one form of you, and somehow we all manage to communicate fine.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Ok everybody and now please halten Sie die Fresse!

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Isn't it same in all cases? 'Das' all the way!
    Das = dem in the dative:

N A D G
    der den dem des
    die die der der
    das das dem des
    die die der den

Simples.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Also accusative neuter.
    Isn't it same in all cases? 'Das' all the way!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Isn't 'Das' just nominative neuter? And not inflected so you'd hear it more?
    Also accusative neuter.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    But where the case of the noun is clear, you can alter the order in English too.
    • The system was down, so we went to the pub
    • The system was down, so to the pub we went
    • The system was down, so to the pub went we
    I've worked at places where it was more like:

We were at the pub so the system went down

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Das ist vielleicht richtig, jede art ton as far as I'm concerned.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    And I know all about the horrors of Den Mann beißt der Hund (which means the dog bites the man, and not the man bites the dog as any reasonable person used to speaking any reasonable language would assume). How about Die Frau beißt die Katze?
    But where the case of the noun is clear, you can alter the order in English too.
    • The system was down, so we went to the pub
    • The system was down, so to the pub we went
    • The system was down, so to the pub went we

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    But das in more or less be the most frequently used in day to day conversation. Even many young Germans don't get it.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied

Must be even more in Russian, six cases against four in German, and I understand Finnish has 15 cases....

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    This example is nothing to do with Du/Sie though, they are both nominative pronouns, 'Den' is (and my German is pants but I can recognise it as 'Der' inflected) - so I would guess 'Den' in this example is masculine accusative case. As we all know, in German articles inflect as well as nouns. Not sure about adjectives tho...
    But das in more or less be the most frequently used in day to day conversation. Even many young Germans don't get it.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Not sure about adjectives tho...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X