• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Mercedes CLS shooting brake"

Collapse

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    We frequent Lidl quite a bit out here. Not to mention Rewe..
    Lidl often have some cool stuff on offer. Best thing though is that they've declared a 'price war' on wine and food against Albert Heijn, the big Dutch supermarket, so while Lidl are upping their assortment, AH are cutting prices on some decent stuff.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Once you've paid for it you'll have to shop at Lidl.
    We frequent Lidl quite a bit out here. Not to mention Rewe..

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Is that because Mrs OH gets bored of you going on about cars?
    She loved some of the cars I've 'built'. The 450 bhp MPV was a fine hour.

But yes. I hate looking for new cars as I get option paralysis and drive her nuts.

Can't help it, I love motors, and always have.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    in a nutshell, I just don't do it anymore.
    Is that because Mrs OH gets bored of you going on about cars?

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Proper AMG 6x6 -

A Six-Wheeled Mercedes G-Class Could Be The Ultimate Road Warrior - Forbes

Every household should have one ...
    £350k that as well.

G Wagon, is a cracking, proper mans car! Still command absolutely stupid money though.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Its only money. I had a health scare earlier in the year and so I decided to do the things I want to do before I get another one and time runs out. My family are looked after if I die so while I am on this planet its playtime.
    Does it not occur to you that you could have died the weekend and left a massive pile of cash for someone else to enjoy? Meanwhile you obviously Like the Idea of an RS6 or an AMG. Why not enjoy yourself when you are back on two feet?

Seriously I don't get it.
    I get that, I seriously do, and I appreciate what you're doing. I have a friend who had a quad bypass 2 years ago who is now seriously enjoying his time left and money.

However, for me, I have 3 girls, whom mean the absolute world to me. I have my toys, make no mistake, I have a cracking jet ski, I have a quad bike. But all of my money goes ot them, to be honest, as if I didn't, their lives will be much harder. The worlds a curiously hard place to live in, and it is going to get worse: I'm just protecting them from it a bit, thats all. If I died tomorrow, then they'd be very well set, but while I am alive, within reason, it pretty much goes to them, in the form of junior isas, and a flat or two once the government opens up it's new venture with house prices.

Before I had kids, I had a Ducati, an RC45, plenty of scramblers. I spent £25k building a 450bhp engine as a plaything and I used to race in spec series as a younger adult. I have had some cracking cars in my time, including the first M5 and M3. I've had my fun, but now it's time for the girls. I'd love an RS6, but couldn't justify the 100k it would cost, over buying something for the future of my kids.

That's why, in a nutshell, I just don't do it anymore.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Waitrose gives 5p fuel discount and you are going to need it with such vehicle...
    My car can drink with the best of them but I can't be arsed checking the fuel prices. Raise them further IMO, get the plebs off the road.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Waitrose gives 5p fuel discount and you are going to need it with such vehicle...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Imagine turning up in the Waitrose car-park with that...
    What they gonna do - clamp it?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Proper AMG 6x6 -

I am assuming the pickup on the back is for the Fuel tank

So while you are in amongst the plebes how often do you get to use the other half of the power I didn't bother with?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Proper AMG 6x6 -

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Its only money. I had a health scare earlier in the year and so I decided to do the things I want to do before I get another one and time runs out. My family are looked after if I die so while I am on this planet its playtime.
    Does it not occur to you that you could have died the weekend and left a massive pile of cash for someone else to enjoy? Meanwhile you obviously Like the Idea of an RS6 or an AMG. Why not enjoy yourself when you are back on two feet?

Seriously I don't get it.
    whs

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Proper AMG 6x6 -

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Me a ban? I'd revisit who started the ad hominem.

I'd been to Merc, and have owned various Mercs since the early 90's. You'll not get 0% off them. Sorry, but I don't agree at all. I have bene down many roads with Mercedes, including the new GL, buying a new E estate, and various other options. You'll not get 0% and, sorry, but I'd not believe it unless I saw it in B&W.

As for the rest. Well, we'll see. I have a friend who works for Mclaren. Their company cars are either Mercs or Smart cars (they used to be able to get Chrysler's and Jeeps too). He has had the C250 petrol, the 250cdi, the 350 petrol, the 350cdi and a lot more besides. You'll get nowhere near what Merc have quoted on either petrol or diesel. They quote 47 for our R class, and we've never got it. You'll also lose over 60k in 3-4 years. I don't consider that good sense. Your choice, and your choice of car; respect there.

Sorry, but thats about that.

But is this not got to do with the overcrowding on British roads? You guys waste more fuel with stop starting at every traffic light. In fact I'm sure there is a government report out there suggesting more use of traffic lights to maintain tax revenues from fuel.

Anyway, can we agree the Mercedes CLS shooting brake is a nice car happily sitting 5 people for short runs, 4 people to the skiing slopes and back for no longer than an hour? Think I'll go back to the show room for a 2nd lookie

Leave a comment:

Working...
X