• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: FFS Microsoft

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "FFS Microsoft"

Collapse

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky
    No mankyboy - the point of writing commercial software *is* to get rich - after all it's not rocket science or an art form - really its just putting together lego bricks.
    Yeah at the cost of the end users...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Can anyone, and I mean anyone, who does not think that Jabber is a retard post any words to that effect? ta.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    Well a lot of people know better than Microsoft. Microsoft know how to get rich - not how to write software. Here are some fine examples:

Microsoft Windows 95-ME
    Microsoft Commerce Server
    Microsoft Content Management Server

Microsoft don't have any error checking and have some over-generic abstraction on half of their products. The abstraction is why we need a Quad Xeon to get something decent out of SQL Server 2005 integration services whereas a P75/32Mb with Perl/DBI has about the same throughput!
    No mankyboy - the point of writing commercial software *is* to get rich - after all it's not rocket science or an art form - really its just putting together lego bricks.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    That's why Generics are good - they still allow for abstraction, yet they give chance for compiler to generate better code: not sure how well they did it though but indications seem that Microsoft did a good job on those. Looking at IL code generated by C# compiler for one very tight loop and its like

Prepping it to be rewritten in hand optimised assembly - will be interesting to see if I get more than 3 times speed up.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    .NET is only good for one thing.

Making contractors rich.

I thank you.

This is true. I'm slowly getting rich.

I contract out .Net because it pays better. I use UNIX scripting languages on MySQL when I do my own stuff because the productivity is better therefore costing me less.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky
    So AtW knows better than Microsoft. One the one hand we have the largest company in the world which has made multi-billonaires of its founders and on the other we have AtW who has made fu*k all.

Hey AtW have you thought of going through all of MS software and removing all their error checking and abstraction. You will really speed things up in places and you could submit the changes as bug reports to MS.
    Well a lot of people know better than Microsoft. Microsoft know how to get rich - not how to write software. Here are some fine examples:

Microsoft Windows 95-ME
    Microsoft Commerce Server
    Microsoft Content Management Server

Microsoft don't have any error checking and have some over-generic abstraction on half of their products. The abstraction is why we need a Quad Xeon to get something decent out of SQL Server 2005 integration services whereas a P75/32Mb with Perl/DBI has about the same throughput!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    .NET is only good for one thing.

Making contractors rich.

I thank you.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    I agree with Alexei

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Wocky - go look at something shiny for a moment.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    1.1 is stable enough, and 2.0 had some subtle garbage collector changes that I ranted about some months ago. But VS 2005 is much nice IDE
    So AtW knows better than Microsoft. One the one hand we have the largest company in the world which has made multi-billonaires of its founders and on the other we have AtW who has made fu*k all.

Hey AtW have you thought of going through all of MS software and removing all their error checking and abstraction. You will really speed things up in places and you could submit the changes as bug reports to MS.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    1.1 is stable enough, and 2.0 had some subtle garbage collector changes that I ranted about some months ago. But VS 2005 is much nice IDE

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Not tried profiling in 2.0 - still using legacy crap

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I want to avoid explicit 2.0, even though my main build is done for 2.0, but 1.1 build is needed for profiler to work well - for some reasons it hungs in one place when build is 2.0.

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    YAWN. Shouldn't this be in technical?
    No, because its a rant

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    The whole of .NET was written by one guy named Rashish in India.

If you have anything to say, you can contact him on [email protected]

HTH

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    YAWN. Shouldn't this be in technical?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X