• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Floor Tiles. Girly Question."

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    aww. I was looking forward to a great success story. hey ho

This way it probably will be.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    UPDATE

I could not be arsed.

Will get a man in.
    aww. I was looking forward to a great success story. hey ho

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    UPDATE

I could not be arsed.

Will get a man in.

Leave a comment:

• Dominic Connor
    replied
    Tile adhesive is gungy but easy to remove from your skin.

Make sure you have more replacement tiles than you intend to remove because there is a chance you damage some in removing the cracked ones.

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    OH that's really helpful - thank you! I think it's going to be a bit of a car crash. Update to follow.
    Oh we do hope so....

BTW

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    OH that's really helpful - thank you! I think it's going to be a bit of a car crash. Update to follow.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by socialworker View Post
    You do realise that is dangerously close to being genuinely helpful?

Bloody do-gooders.
    If it helps, I was going to make a comment about detecting my pipe.

Leave a comment:

• socialworker
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Once you've taken out the old tiles and cleared the old grout etc, enough so the new tile can be placed initially below the level of the surrounding tiles, I'd put a generous dollop of glue all round in the space, but not right up to the edge. Then I'd lay a load of grout round the side of the gap, in contact with all the neighboring tiles, so that when you fit the replacement tile it's now slightly higher then the surrounding ones. You can then use a couple of planks of wood or metal set squares to gently press down on it, so the excess grout squelches out and the tile becomes level. In short, it's important to lay it slightly higher to start with, as you can always press it down but you can't raise a tile that is too low.
    You do realise that is dangerously close to being genuinely helpful?

Bloody do-gooders.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    How much of a risk is there that I'm going to end up sticking a body part to the floor/wall?
    Once you've taken out the old tiles and cleared the old grout etc, enough so the new tile can be placed initially below the level of the surrounding tiles, I'd put a generous dollop of glue all round in the space, but not right up to the edge. Then I'd lay a load of grout round the side of the gap, in contact with all the neighboring tiles, so that when you fit the replacement tile it's now slightly higher then the surrounding ones. You can then use a couple of planks of wood or metal set squares to gently press down on it, so the excess grout squelches out and the tile becomes level. In short, it's important to lay it slightly higher to start with, as you can always press it down but you can't raise a tile that is too low.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    A lot depends on the size of yer crack. If it is, indeed, large, then it needs to be sorted asap. Trim it round the edges, make sure its nice and clean, then get to work and give it a good grouting afterwards. Make sure it is not damp before you start, but it can get as wet as you like afterwards.

But don't get toothpaste on it.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    A lot depends on the size of yer crack. If it is, indeed, large, then it needs to be sorted asap. Trim it round the edges, make sure its nice and clean, then get to work and give it a good grouting afterwards. Make sure it is not damp before you start, but it can get as wet as you like afterwards.

You are revolting.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I'm paranoid.

That's what living in old houses does to you.

If I lived in nice modernish houses I would know that all the cabling and piping would be in "normal" places.
    Same here. As in, the old houses bit.

If I can't see something, it's not there. Pipes behind walls is a great example.

[I now have a pipe detector, as bought by one smug father]

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    A bit of a random question. I can't ask my friends or family about this as they will patronise me and tell me I shouldn't attempt this myself.

Two floor tiles have come loose in my en suite - one has cracked and is a bit of a health hazard.

I have some spare tiles in the garage. If I buy some tile adhesive, can I just blob some of that on the floor and stick some new tiles down?

How much of a risk is there that I'm going to end up sticking a body part to the floor/wall?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    We're not all perfect Suze!
    I'm paranoid.

That's what living in old houses does to you.

If I lived in nice modernish houses I would know that all the cabling and piping would be in "normal" places.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I'm impressed - that you have never electrocuted yourself.
    Our Mary is dielectric...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X