• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Whats the big deal?"

Collapse

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Now you're getting mixed up, the Russkies don't eat swans, they **** squirrels

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    No to me it seems pretty far fetched that anyone would travel several thousand miles to eat a bunch of swans but the anecdotal evidence seems to coincide with the sudden and rapid influx of eastern europeans and just because it's an uncomfortable point it doesn't mean that it isn't the cause...

If you were to do some amazing sleuth work that came up with a better reason why the swan population seemed to almost vanish overnight than the "Ruskies ate them!!!" then I am more than content to hear it on its merits.
    Now you're getting mixed up, the Russkies don't eat swans, they **** squirrels

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post

Yet you still have no problem connecting the two, as it suits what you want to believe.
    No to me it seems pretty far fetched that anyone would travel several thousand miles to eat a bunch of swans but the anecdotal evidence seems to coincide with the sudden and rapid influx of eastern europeans and just because it's an uncomfortable point it doesn't mean that it isn't the cause...

If you were to do some amazing sleuth work that came up with a better reason why the swan population seemed to almost vanish overnight than the "Ruskies ate them!!!" then I am more than content to hear it on its merits.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    I don't think it is treason, just criminal damage.

It's basically the same as if someone went and smashed up SasGuru's new Japanese car.

Except the swans actually exist.
    It's not new anymore, its a few months old.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Thanks hadn't read that far down

Regardless of yet another racist tussle it seems very odd that the pond was full of Swans for the previous 20 years but all of a sudden a border several thousand miles away opens up and the swans vanish almost overnight....

Yet you still have no problem connecting the two, as it suits what you want to believe.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    If the Queen ordered it, then now problem. I understand killing swans is illegal, and one of the few remaining laws to come under treason.
    I don't think it is treason, just criminal damage.

It's basically the same as if someone went and smashed up SasGuru's new Japanese car.

Except the swans actually exist.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    You want to let the Queen eat commoners and lords?

Does she like that sort of thing?
    Well Fergie ate a commoner.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Why should only the queen be allowed to eat swan? Why can't it be extended to commoners - like the LOrds?
    You want to let the Queen eat commoners and lords?

Does she like that sort of thing?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    You saying they need to "Swan up"?
    Short of carrying a submachine gun I really don't know what else they could do to be more aggressive. They are generally a grumpy species even when you are feeding them.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    If the Queen ordered it, then now problem. I understand killing swans is illegal, and one of the few remaining laws to come under treason.
    Why should only the queen be allowed to eat swan? Why can't it be extended to commoners - like the LOrds?

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Perhaps if the Windsor swans were a bit more vicious they wouldn't have been eaten.
    You saying they need to "Swan up"?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    They're vicious buggers. I had to smack one in the head with an oar once when rowing down the Avon and one attacked. That did seem to piss it off even more though.
    Perhaps if the Windsor swans were a bit more vicious they wouldn't have been eaten.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    Thanks hadn't read that far down

Regardless of yet another racist tussle it seems very odd that the pond was full of Swans for the previous 20 years but all of a sudden a border several thousand miles away opens up and the swans vanish almost overnight....
    The locals were leaving them alone. The other immigrant populations settling near by had successfully walked past them and indeed shared the fun of feeding them over the years, so I wonder what changed?

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    ...all of a sudden they seemed to vanish...

about the same sort of time as the EU opened its borders.

Maybe they all decided to live in Poland with their new found freedoms...

More likely they ended up in a fridge.

I never really understood why certain animals avoid the plate on personality merits but at the same time its sad to see an empty pond just because our visitors don't care to fit in with our culture.

Originally posted by The article posted by OwlHoot
    And finally, alleged swan-poaching: The Sun, that venerable old British tabloid, claimed in 2003 that police had arrested asylum seekers who were poaching and roasting swans. After several complaints about the authenticity "“ and indeed, the subtle racism "“ of the story, The Sun admitted that no such arrests had taken place, but maintained that the word on the street was that Eastern European refugees were snatching and eating the birds. These stories bear a striking resemblance to stories (read: urban legends) from other immigrant rich parts of the world, in which the bumpkin newcomers, seeing no reason not to, trap and eat ornamental birds like ducks and geese.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Snaresbrook pond used to have hundreds of swans nesting there. I used to enjoy an afternoon sat by the ponds feeding them, then all of a sudden they seemed to vanish...

about the same sort of time as the EU opened its borders.

Maybe they all decided to live in Poland with their new found freedoms...

More likely they ended up in a fridge.

I never really understood why certain animals avoid the plate on personality merits but at the same time its sad to see an empty pond just because our visitors don't care to fit in with our culture.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X