• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Updating my CV

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Updating my CV"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Didn't people have typewriters?
    Seemingly not

BBC News - UK's 'last typewriter' produced

Leave a comment:

• EstherA4C
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Friends? You have admitted you are a recruiter, that ship sailed a long time ago, be thankful we are not spitting in your face!

Welcome

I left the recruitment desk and moved into IT, then into accounts. Popularity has never been a career driver!

But thanks for the warm welcome

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    What's a typewriter?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    In permiedom back in the 80s, our boss came out of his office to show us a CV he had just received. It was handwritten, in an almost illegible scrawl, and full of crossings out and smudges. We literally couldn't believe our eyes! It was the funniest thing I had seen in ages.

Obviously the guy who had posted it actively didn't want the job, but for some unfathomable reason was going through the motions. Either that or he was seriously deranged.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Handwriting on CVs?

Was this the 1990s or the 1890s?

I used to do a fine page or two of copperplate back in the day, but even I'd got around to printing the damn thing by 1987.

Next step was getting a fax machine.
    In permiedom back in the 80s, our boss came out of his office to show us a CV he had just received. It was handwritten, in an almost illegible scrawl, and full of crossings out and smudges. We literally couldn't believe our eyes! It was the funniest thing I had seen in ages.

Obviously the guy who had posted it actively didn't want the job, but for some unfathomable reason was going through the motions. Either that or he was seriously deranged.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Friends? You have admitted you are a recruiter, that ship sailed a long time ago, be thankful we are not spitting in your face!

Welcome
    I just booked a taxi over to her place, give me a chance!

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by EstherA4C View Post
    I didn't like to say, it's only my first day here so thought I'd stay quiet to keep friends

PS I'm not even a grandma!!

Welcome

Leave a comment:

• EstherA4C
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Is someone called 'Esther' likely to be a granddad?
    I didn't like to say, it's only my first day here so thought I'd stay quiet to keep friends

PS I'm not even a grandma!!

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
    I will PM you the details
    Awesome, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• tranceporter
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    What were these tips?
    I will PM you the details

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
    If you know any fellow contractors who you get on with, ask them to have a look at your CV and come up with suggestions. Some of the blokes I worked in my previous gig had some real nice tips. Result, a decent CV that does not get chucked in the bin (I know this because I have got compliments about my CV for pimps and clients).
    What were these tips?

Leave a comment:

• tranceporter
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Indeed. I still get emails for "Junior PHP developer", I suspect because one version of my CV from about 5 years ago I mentioned that I had basic knowledge of PHP in an attempt to appear more well rounded, and so have been stuck on somebody's database under PHP ever since. It's making me consider carefully what I want to put; I've done a lot of Javascript recently, but I don't want to put that on my CV or agents will forever be emailing me about £18K junior HTML "developer" positions.

Obviously I'm not stressing the Job Centre thing. I have other roles to apply for, which is why I'm suddenly in need of getting on with it.
    If you know any fellow contractors who you get on with, ask them to have a look at your CV and come up with suggestions. Some of the blokes I worked in my previous gig had some real nice tips. Result, a decent CV that does not get chucked in the bin (I know this because I have got compliments about my CV for pimps and clients).

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Thanks for that grandma.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Thanks for that granddad.
    Is someone called 'Esther' likely to be a granddad?

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by EstherA4C View Post
    With CVs being held electronically these days I wonder whether recruiters / HR / clients search for the key words (i.e. skills / qualifications) and then read the CV for personality?
    Indeed. I still get emails for "Junior PHP developer", I suspect because one version of my CV from about 5 years ago I mentioned that I had basic knowledge of PHP in an attempt to appear more well rounded, and so have been stuck on somebody's database under PHP ever since. It's making me consider carefully what I want to put; I've done a lot of Javascript recently, but I don't want to put that on my CV or agents will forever be emailing me about £18K junior HTML "developer" positions.

Obviously I'm not stressing the Job Centre thing. I have other roles to apply for, which is why I'm suddenly in need of getting on with it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X