• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Plan C

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plan C"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    You forgot "Next"

HTH
    I was being kind.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Already been done, sort of.

http://www.halfapercent.com/

You forgot "Next"

HTH

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I have decided to move up market and get into the estate agency business myself

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Already been done, sort of.

http://www.halfapercent.com/

Leave a comment:

• NickIT
    replied
    I thought some of the pimps here might be failed estate agents.

HTH

PS. Sorry in future I'll only post stuff about Israel, religion and other relevant IT contractor stuff.
    In my case I was running their IT dept...so not an Estate Agent! LOL

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I thought some of the pimps here might be failed estate agents.

HTH

PS. Sorry in future I'll only post stuff about Israel, religion and other relevant IT contractor stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Clog II The Avenger
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    So dear Prawn,

Why(TF) are you asking a bunch of computer contractors about the legal rules for estate agents?

Who would trust asking estate agents?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Plan B is going along nicely.

Plan C may or may not involve the running of an online and call centre based estate agency giving 24 hr access to a human and full property details online at a fixed cost.

Can someone in the know tell me:

1. Is there any legal requirements in running an estate agent in the UK or is it all "voluntary code of conduct" or "self regulated industry" bollox?

2. How highstreet estate agents in the UK have the gall to charge like 2% to advertise a home which equates to around £4000 for the average home and as much as £15,000 for a large property?

I think the whole estate agent model is ripe for a rethink.

So dear Prawn,

Why(TF) are you asking a bunch of computer contractors about the legal rules for estate agents?

5 minutes Googling would give you enough info to make a start. You could also find a bunch of estate agent's forums.

If this is how you research your plans (A, B or C) then you're nothing but a barbecued shrimp.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Hey DimPrawn, surely your plan C should be to become part of someone's Prawn Cocktail.
    OK OK I'll get me coat ....

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    My Dad's best friend did a stint as an estate agent (he could sell sex to nuns!) and offered a fixed price service. This was over 20 years ago though. His company folded not because the business model was screwy but because people thought he was too cheap, of all things. Also, the area he covered was somewhat down market shall we say.

If you set the price too low, people will see it as one of those 'it seems too good to be true, so it probably is' type scam and won't take it up. I'm sure you've thought about the pricing carefully anyway.

As an aside, quite a few estate agents will actually negotiate a fixed fee anyway. I was supposed to pay something like 1.5% when I sold my last property but instead negotiated a fixed fee of £1000 + VAT and saved myself around £750 (+VAT!).

Leave a comment:

• NickIT
    replied

Plan C may or may not involve the running of an online and call centre based estate agency giving 24 hr access to a human and full property details online at a fixed cost.

1. Is there any legal requirements in running an estate agent in the UK or is it all "voluntary code of conduct" or "self regulated industry" bollox?

2. How highstreet estate agents in the UK have the gall to charge like 2% to advertise a home which equates to around £4000 for the average home and as much as £15,000 for a large property?

Been there done that and saw the company fold

Leave a comment:

• XLMonkey
    replied

1. No, any idiot can set themselves as an estate agent and nob around in cheap H&M suits and alloyed-wheeled GTi's.
    2. Because the world has a surplus of idiots, and most of them become estate agents.

I could bore you with a spreadsheet explaining the economics of an estate agency. They're not much different from those for a contract agent. But I can't be arsed.

The real question is, do you really want to buy a cheap suit and a GTi (and earn the general contempt of all your friends -- I've never met an estate agent who could get respect from anyone, even his mum)?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    started a topic Plan C

Plan C

Working...
X