• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Euro gigs

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Euro gigs"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Really? I thought that was pointless as you can't just start another one doing the same thing.
    Ja, it was in their PDF they sent me at the time when making decisions.

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm Buggeridge
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    That's indeed what I mean. I'd ship us all out, for the 3 years.
    who'd look after the farm?

Edit: OK, should have read the whole thread...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Really? Well, that does tip the balance somewhat. I think I have a bit of studying to do...
    In addition your accommodation shall probably be your biggest outlay. Everything else (food) is cheaper, well that has been my experience. And there's beer for you and chocolate for the wife, what's not to like?

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    SJD advised I wind the Ltd after three years.
    Really? I thought that was pointless as you can't just start another one doing the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Really? Well, that does tip the balance somewhat. I think I have a bit of studying to do...
    For as long as I'm withdrawing my income monthly / annually. Back the UK, in order to maximise my net income to the dizzy heights of 80% of thereabouts SJD advised I wind the Ltd after three years.

I don't know about everyone else but I want my hands on the cash now. As a freelancer here I'll keep 72% from the off, but yes heath insurance needs to come off that (but once you taste the quality of care on offer you'll not complain). The 72% does not yet include any of my expenditure, which brings me back to the dizzy heights again. And all of this without a Ltd, just a simple profit / loss account, a lot less completed and stressful.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I know a bloke (test manager) who started in a 6 monther at NATO about 7 years ago and he finished there last year; he decided to move on but he's 45 and reckons he could have stayed there until his pension.
    I have a strict line in the sand that my wife and I have drawn, and that's 55. 6 years from now, but I will not be working by then. Regardless.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I said before, I reckon I have 5 years left in me, before I call it a day. We have the farm, mortgage free (from Aug 7th), and we need to pump up the investments, as we now have none to speak of. I wouldn't want the kids to spend more than a couple of years there, as we've always planned on living in Devon, and it's where they'll probably make long term friendships. So 2-5 years in a NATO role, if the money is good, sounds great.
    I know a bloke (test manager) who started in a 6 monther at NATO about 7 years ago and he finished there last year; he decided to move on but he's 45 and reckons he could have stayed there until his pension.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    You'd do OK with all that lot; you'd be recieving child benefit, tax credits etc etc.

But if it's NATO it could be a lot longer than a couple of years.
    I said before, I reckon I have 5 years left in me, before I call it a day. We have the farm, mortgage free (from Aug 7th), and we need to pump up the investments, as we now have none to speak of. I wouldn't want the kids to spend more than a couple of years there, as we've always planned on living in Devon, and it's where they'll probably make long term friendships. So 2-5 years in a NATO role, if the money is good, sounds great.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Here in Germany, being the sole breadwinner, my net income is better than that which could be a achieved with a Ltd back home. On top of that the government gives you money just for keeping your sprogs in the country.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Indeed, how many subsidisables* does Old Hackdonald have?

* kids and dependent adults
    Here in Germany, being the sole breadwinner, my net income is better than that which could be a achieved with a Ltd back home. On top of that the government gives you money just for keeping your sprogs in the country.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    3 kids and a wife

I think we'd probably live in France.
    You'd do OK with all that lot; you'd be recieving child benefit, tax credits etc etc.

But if it's NATO it could be a lot longer than a couple of years.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    New farm fallen through has it?

You're giving Dim 'Boss the plane, the plane' Prawn a run for his money now.
    No, oh dear, can you really not read?

The farm has been purchased, we've exchanged, but I was always going to contract for a few more years, 5 I think.

God MF, you really are as thick as pig tulip sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied

3 kids and a wife

I think we'd probably live in Belgium sorry.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    That's indeed what I mean. I'd ship us all out, for the 3 years.
    New farm fallen through has it?

You're giving Dim 'Boss the plane, the plane' Prawn a run for his money now.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Not only that but avoid making a blanket assumption those counties using the euro have similar tax status. NET income will always different, depending on you and the country. If you're coming with family better, tax status can become even more favourable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X