• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "London ‘third most successful financial centre in wealth management’"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Dominic Connor View Post
    And that's why London is becoming the top centre for Islamic finance; a lot of which is wealth management.
    You mean banks like Standard Chartered?

Leave a comment:

• Dominic Connor
    replied
    Sharia Law

Some of the more hysterical arts grads in the Daily Mail have been whining about Sharia law seeping into British law, when of course it has been here for a century or more.

And that's why London is becoming the top centre for Islamic finance; a lot of which is wealth management.

UK law has long had the idea of plugging in modules, if a club buys a footballer it will be "subject to the prevailing regs of the FA, EUFA etc", or the EULA of Microsoft or pretty much anything written down.

Unlike countries with defective legal systems (Saudi, Iran, Sweden etc) UK law does what it says on the tin, a British judge won't try to second guess God, Allah or Steve Balmer, if the contract says you have to do X, then you do X or pay up.

Enforcability of contracts is critical if you're dealing with seroius money and in the case of Islamic finance the last thing you want is someone from the wrong kind of Islam punting his own ideas into the mess.

Obviously you can't over ride English or Scottish law, but the rules are known and that is worth real money to the UK.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    It's there if you know where to look for it. There are still plenty of the old neighbourhoods around with the shabby but fantastic food stalls, some which have been selling exactly the same dish for 30-40 years.

Arab Quarter, Geylang ,Little India and China Town all retain a lot of character and going out of the center, areas like Kovan, Pasir Ris and Tampines all have their little places where the locals go for authentic food.

There is still a 24 hour culture there too, can't beat driving to the other end of the city at 3am to some little food stall in the middle of what looks like nowhere are finding the place buzzing with people enjoying their food in the cool of the night.
    There´s a good Italian restaurant in Chinatown which has an incredible wine cabinet with almost every vintage of Barolo and Brunello dating back to the 30s, but judging by the Insalate Caprese there was a serious tomato crisis in Asia last year. Lots of cheese, lots of basil and a token red bit on the side of the plate.

Still, silly me, I can´t be arsed with Asian food, or any other food than Italian for that matter; I grew up with Italian food and although I like some Arabic food, I really don't need Asian food.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Lived there in the 70's and it was ace, a proper Asian city. I went back in the 90's, then the 00's and it was bland, it was almost grey in it's attitude. Some fun places, yes, of course, but it had lost all its charm, imo.
    It's there if you know where to look for it. There are still plenty of the old neighbourhoods around with the shabby but fantastic food stalls, some which have been selling exactly the same dish for 30-40 years.

Arab Quarter, Geylang ,Little India and China Town all retain a lot of character and going out of the center, areas like Kovan, Pasir Ris and Tampines all have their little places where the locals go for authentic food.

There is still a 24 hour culture there too, can't beat driving to the other end of the city at 3am to some little food stall in the middle of what looks like nowhere are finding the place buzzing with people enjoying their food in the cool of the night.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Lived there in the 70's and it was ace, a proper Asian city. I went back in the 90's, then the 00's and it was bland, it was almost grey in it's attitude. Some fun places, yes, of course, but it had lost all its charm, imo.
    My recently deceased Uncle was there in the 40's, he didn't rate it much....

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Oh no, please, not as boring as Singapore.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    But didn't the last lot of daft twats (or the previous lot of Tories - same difference) sign up for majority voting?

(*) BTW the word "twat" there means a a nun's headdress
    Not in this case; it's to do with a tax that would cover the whole of the EU, it needs unanimity. It won't get unanimity. (Unless of course the UKIP voters open up the election for Militwat to win)

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Guess who can stop the EU meddling in the city? That's right, the British government, quite simply by vetoing things that would interfere in the city, as a number of other countries will do to protect their financial sectors.
    But didn't the last lot of daft twats (or the previous lot of Tories - same difference) sign up for majority voting?

(*) BTW the word "twat" there means a a nun's headdress

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I wouldn't expect it to, because the EU has not started to meddle significantly in the operations of the city.
    Best to get out of the EU before they start.
    Guess who can stop the EU meddling in the city? That's right, the British government, quite simply by vetoing things that would interfere in the city, as a number of other countries will do to protect their financial sectors.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Obviously you don't know Singapore very well
    Or Singapore's attractions don't really appeal to me.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    And Britain IS in the EU, yet this membership does not appeared to have harmed it's ability to be successful in finance, as UKIP or the idiots claim would happen were the UK to remain in the EU.
    I wouldn't expect it to, because the EU has not started to meddle significantly in the operations of the city.
    Best to get out of the EU before they start.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Oh no, please, not as boring as Singapore.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I don't agree, I arranged employment for something that looked like a bird and it said it would "love you longtime"
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X