• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "One of my pet hates about contracting"

Collapse

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Cool. You can expect a large contingent of Cloggie contractors moving across the border at this rate. Current Dutch government, elected on a promise of getting the economy going again through liberalising business laws are going on a complete bender of regulating and taxing every fart they can find that hasn't already been regulated three times over and our wonderful version of IR35 is about to become a lot more IR35-ish, although happily it's been delayed for a year because the Tax office programmers are too tulipe to get the software ready.
    Nein :nazi:

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Nope. In my case I submit an invoice to the company, they pay it into my bank account, I give all my paperwork to my accountant, they submit it to the Finanzamt, they send me a tax bill, I pay it. Actually I pay tax in advance per quarter at a rate which I agree with the Finanzamt and monthly for the equivalent for VAT (MwST) and come year end I either owe them or they owe me. Of course there are some other details but nothing quite so archaic or stupid as IR35. So basically in the long run all the money is mine except taxes (and some social contributions,) not need for salaries or dividends or silly little rules...Of course if you're a programmer or BA or PM then its a bit different as you need to pay other taxes, the difference between Freiberfulich and Selbständig (Gewerblich) and then you have GmBH and GBR and KG and...but still no IR35 which would screw me as I've been here nearly 4 years and still claim everything...
    Cool. You can expect a large contingent of Cloggie contractors moving across the border at this rate. Current Dutch government, elected on a promise of getting the economy going again through liberalising business laws are going on a complete bender of regulating and taxing every fart they can find that hasn't already been regulated three times over and our wonderful version of IR35 is about to become a lot more IR35-ish, although happily it's been delayed for a year because the Tax office programmers are too tulipe to get the software ready.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Nope, but Deutschland probably has an equivalent just as the rest of Europe. Aarrrgggh!!
    Nope. In my case I submit an invoice to the company, they pay it into my bank account, I give all my paperwork to my accountant, they submit it to the Finanzamt, they send me a tax bill, I pay it. Actually I pay tax in advance per quarter at a rate which I agree with the Finanzamt and monthly for the equivalent for VAT (MwST) and come year end I either owe them or they owe me. Of course there are some other details but nothing quite so archaic or stupid as IR35. So basically in the long run all the money is mine except taxes (and some social contributions,) not need for salaries or dividends or silly little rules...Of course if you're a programmer or BA or PM then its a bit different as you need to pay other taxes, the difference between Freiberfulich and Selbständig (Gewerblich) and then you have GmBH and GBR and KG and...but still no IR35 which would screw me as I've been here nearly 4 years and still claim everything...

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    IR35 doesn't apply in Germany. Clearly if you were a permie you'd not be paying UK NI.
    Nope, but Deutschland probably has an equivalent just as the rest of Europe. Aarrrgggh!!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    IR35 doesn't apply in Germany. Clearly if you were a permie you'd not be paying UK NI.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    It would be better if they let me go and then got me back in for the odd day here and there now. I'll suggest that to them.
    FFS - it's not a case of "suggesting", any more than you "ask for" holiday time off.

Tell them that you are unavailable since there is no work, and don't work.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Maybe you should put the new coversheet on all the TPS reports before they go out.

So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great.
    You did get the memo, didn't you?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Never done one - I believe that one of the permies at ClientCo fills them out on my behalf.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Very easily. Usually at the point where a project finishes and they find something else for you to work on. That's where it starts to look like they have an obligation to provide you with work and you have an obligation to do it.

Hang on, this is in General specifically! Bedwetter!!!
    It would be better if they let me go and then got me back in for the odd day here and there now. I'll suggest that to them.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    That's well overdue now.

So your IR35 position can flip mid contact?
    Very easily. Usually at the point where a project finishes and they find something else for you to work on. That's where it starts to look like they have an obligation to provide you with work and you have an obligation to do it.

Hang on, this is in General specifically! Bedwetter!!!

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Go home?

Would help your IR35 position.
    That's well overdue now.

So your IR35 position can flip mid contact?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Filling in complicated timesheets is a pain in the arse, but as long as it's done in billable time it's a lucrative pain in the arse.

Keep calm and invoice!

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Did I work with you recently?
    Maybe

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Go home?

Would help your IR35 position.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Maybe you should put the new coversheet on all the TPS reports before they go out.

So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X