• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Conjecture

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Conjecture"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Or Grommitsome?

But spelt oddly - not going to type it as I'd rather she didn't stumble across this thread if she googles herself,
    Anyone else getting some mental images of child minder googling herself?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    lavendernorthbynortheast

Morphew
    Or Grommitsome?

But spelt oddly - not going to type it as I'd rather she didn't stumble across this thread if she googles herself,

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    It was bad enough with both my first and surname in the UK, its even worse here

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Was her name a mixture of a flower and a point on the compass?
    lavendernorthbynortheast

No it was a mixture of a plasticine figure and 'not very many'.
    Morphew

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by p3t3 View Post
    People with long hardly-pronounceable names look for jobs longer.

WDYT?
    You mean like bob shawadiwadi ?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    No it was a mixture of a plasticine figure and 'not very many'.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    When I was trying to find a childminder, I rang everyone on the list before the minder I ended up with, because I wasn't sure how to pronounce her name. If anyone else had vacancies, she wouldn't have got my business. Maybe that's why she did have vacancies. (She turned out to be an excellent minder despite her odd name!)

Leave a comment:

• p3t3
    replied
    Originally posted by Dominic Connor View Post
    Actually for most of my life I guess 1/3 of people manage to say my name wrong which is impressive, but not in a good way.
    Smith,is that you matey?

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    If I had a quid for every time I have had to spell my surname, I wouldn't be working.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    When I was trying to find a childminder, I rang everyone on the list before the minder I ended up with, because I wasn't sure how to pronounce her name. If anyone else had vacancies, she wouldn't have got my business. Maybe that's why she did have vacancies. (She turned out to be an excellent minder despite her odd name!)

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Dominic Connor View Post
    I think it's the other way round, unless you see awkward names as some sort of proxy for racism.

Actually for most of my life I guess 1/3 of people manage to say my name wrong which is impressive, but not in a good way.
    I have told people how to spell my name and they have got it wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Dominic Connor
    replied
    Don't think so

I think it's the other way round, unless you see awkward names as some sort of proxy for racism.

Leave a comment:

• p3t3
    started a topic Conjecture

Conjecture

People with long hardly-pronounceable names look for jobs longer.

WDYT?

Working...
X