• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The rise of the protein drinks for ordinary people"

Collapse

• Dallas
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Well I do know that many Tour de France, Giro etc riders use protein shakes at the end of each day to aid recovery.
    Yep
    its the fastest and most convenient way of replacing minerals and proteins that facilitate recovery - even more important on multi-day events.

Using these in the heat though can affect some folks bellies there are 2 ways out - i have suffered both - nice

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    it is the speed at which you can re-humanise yourself if you have emptied the tank

This thread is double entendre central.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Dallas View Post
    Hello,

I am an ironman (5 weeks to next one) and rower. About 10 months of the year I dont touch them. I do have these as backup if I am stuck, zombie-fied and need to get something in quick on the go.

At the finish line of most events they hand you gatorade/redbull ... the usual - that is no use to me. Although a couple (Chicago Mara and Frankfurt IM) they give you beer - fastest way to hydrate and onboard carbs and sugar - but not recommended.
    Workwise there is a gym in the building, in our kitchen there is almost a competition between the boys as to who ha the best shakes and the post work out I-need-to-shake-this-for-30-mins-coz-i-do-really-heavy-weights-dont-you-know.

But in their defense some do have additional joint protection minerals and it is the speed at which you can re-humanise yourself if you have emptied the tank
    Well I do know that many Tour de France, Giro etc riders use protein shakes at the end of each day to aid recovery.

Leave a comment:

• Dallas
    replied
    Hello,

I am an ironman (5 weeks to next one) and rower. About 10 months of the year I dont touch them. I do have these as backup if I am stuck, zombie-fied and need to get something in quick on the go.

At the finish line of most events they hand you gatorade/redbull ... the usual - that is no use to me. Although a couple (Chicago Mara and Frankfurt IM) they give you beer - fastest way to hydrate and onboard carbs and sugar - but not recommended.
    Workwise there is a gym in the building, in our kitchen there is almost a competition between the boys as to who ha the best shakes and the post work out I-need-to-shake-this-for-30-mins-coz-i-do-really-heavy-weights-dont-you-know.

But in their defense some do have additional joint protection minerals and it is the speed at which you can re-humanise yourself if you have emptied the tank

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    You, shut your face.

Oh, now that is interesting - hmmm. I am looking for footwork and agility drills to help out in the coming tournaments (won one on Saturday but the big one is in August). I had not thought of how they might help in other ways.

Not for oldies;

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    Gee. I only started this thread to make a cheap joke.
    You, shut your face.

... research in Holland suggesting that people who maintain leg speed (in his case, through tap dancing), are unlikely to fall over because they can get their leg out in front of them before they fall. Perhaps it's good to maintain some speed training throughout life, although first with a basis of fitness from walking, swimming, cycling.
    Oh, now that is interesting - hmmm. I am looking for footwork and agility drills to help out in the coming tournaments (won one on Saturday but the big one is in August). I had not thought of how they might help in other ways.

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Gee. I only started this thread to make a cheap joke.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    what the article fails to mention is that most protein powders are made from a what was a waste byproduct of cheese production
    That works on so many levels.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    BBC News - The rise of the protein drinks for ordinary people

I've been trying to convince my wife of the value of this for a while now.
    what the article fails to mention is that most protein powders are made from a what was a waste byproduct of cheese production

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Exactly, so in general terms 'functional X' is meaningless as the function which the person requires has not been defined. It is like us putting together a routine which builds functional muscles in everyone - the phrase is nonsensical as functional has no meaning in that context.
    Not entirely nonsense, there are things everyone does like climibing stairs, walking, carrying bags, lifting stuff in and out of the car, but then those activities should provide enough training to do them anyway, so Functional strength is indeed largely dependent on the domain. Rugby players can do stuff like lifting and rolling tractor tyres and running up and down hills carrying logs, where track cyclists might do lots of squats and leg presses.

One interesting area is the training of leg speed to help prevent old people falling over; it struck me when I saw a programme about old famous people in a home for a week that Lionel Blair actually performed badly on the standard fitness tests and neurological tests, but appeared to be the most stable on his legs, and it got me thinking about some research in Holland suggesting that people who maintain leg speed (in his case, through tap dancing), are unlikely to fall over because they can get their leg out in front of them before they fall. Perhaps it's good to maintain some speed training throughout life, although first with a basis of fitness from walking, swimming, cycling.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    No, no, functional fitness or functional strength have some meaning; that's basically strength that's fit for purpose, which is obviously different for a marathon runner and a weightlifter. 'Pack on functional muscle', however, is marketing guff. Amino acids don't know the difference between functional muscle and non-functional bulk, so it's a nonsense statement.
    Exactly, so in general terms 'functional X' is meaningless as the function which the person requires has not been defined. It is like us putting together a routine which builds functional muscles in everyone - the phrase is nonsensical as functional has no meaning in that context.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    So it is meaningless in general terms. I always thought that when I saw suppliments and routines designed to make you 'pack on functional muscle!!!!'. However, someone will always want an easy way out.
    No, no, functional fitness or functional strength have some meaning; that's basically strength that's fit for purpose, which is obviously different for a marathon runner and a weightlifter. 'Pack on functional muscle', however, is marketing guff. Amino acids don't know the difference between functional muscle and non-functional bulk, so it's a nonsense statement.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    That's pretty much what it means.
    So it is meaningless in general terms. I always thought that when I saw suppliments and routines designed to make you 'pack on functional muscle!!!!'. However, someone will always want an easy way out.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied

I have no idea what 'functional' means in general terms. Surely is depends on exactly what you are training for? Functional for a marathon runner is hardly functional for a power lifter.
    That's pretty much what it means.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Untrained, unfit people lifting with the wrong technique and damaging their back or lifting too much and mistaking straining a tendon for muscle pain.

Did you really just have a go at me for "advising" people to try sprints?
    No, I didn't have a go at you; no reason to. Just saying that I wouldn't advise it if someone isn't already fairly trained. Fair enough if someone's already fit but there are fatty wobblers on the forum who might pick up on the idea, so best to give them a word of caution.

I think on your lifting issue the key is to start with light weights and instruct them on the movement. I don't think machines help in that respect.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X