• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Summer Footballers Transfer Merry-Go-Round"

Collapse

• Dactylion
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    We've already released 15 players, which is saving about £350,000 a week off the wage bill, this is the first summer where we are not on tender hooks to find out who we are going to sell, and then make a last minute desperate dash to pick up some players. I am expecting 4 key signings, Keeper, Defender, Defensive Midfield and Striker, plus the usual influx of 15 years olds that we will release at 20-21.
    tenterhooks

I have feck all interest in football which is why it has taken me months to read this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Is there a dearth of top centre-backs and defensive midfield players?

These are the things that Arsenal and Man Utd most need yet neither have signed any.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I see there was a bit of a cock-up:

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I love/hate Transfer Deadline Day!

Arsenal need to be heavily invested, I am hoping for Carvalho from Sporting Lisbon, Sokratis from Borussia Dortmund and a Striker, although not liking the talk of trying to get Defoe in

In other news Falcao could be going to Man Utd, so they replace RvP before we have

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied
    BBC Sport - Luis Suarez: Liverpool & Barcelona agree deal for striker

Sad to see him go (from a footballing point of view)
    Glad to see him go (from an Arsenal fans point of view)
    He will do better in Barcelona, being in Levapool for any length of time would turn anyone into a crazed nutter.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    BBC Sport - Luis Suarez: Liverpool & Barcelona agree deal for striker

Sad to see him go (from a footballing point of view)
    Glad to see him go (from an Arsenal fans point of view)

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I won't believe Sanchez has signed for Arsenal until Spurs fans start whining that Lennon & Lemala are better wingers than him

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I won't believe Sanchez has signed for Arsenal until Spurs fans start whining that Lennon & Lemala are better wingers than him

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    BBC Sport - Cesc Fabregas: Chelsea sign ex-Arsenal midfielder from Barcelona

I know we didn't want him back, but it just hurts to see him playing for Chelsea of all teams, its always been about the football with him and now it looks like its the money
    How? He wanted to go to Arsenal but Wenger didn't want him. What's he supposed to do, retire if he can't play for Arsenal?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

I know we didn't want him back, but it just hurts to see him playing for Chelsea of all teams, its always been about the football with him and now it looks like its the money
    Petr Cech seemed pretty surprised when they interviewed him at the tennis this afternoon. Maybe he was just thrown by how John Inverdale manages to hold down a job.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I think its a signing that suits everybody. He;s a liverpool fan and had a bit of a roy of the rovers career - lower leagues through to the top level (if playing for england counts as top level) and back to the club where he was as a kid and who he supports. Liverpool have a small squad by most clubs standards and next year they will have to play a lot more games than they did this year. They need strength in depth and that's what he'll provide. As a united fan I obviously have little fondness for Liverpool, but I can see why they have bought him.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    agree with that - he probably only had a good season last year due to the team he was in and the number of games he got

if the only starts he gets are against burnley on a wet wednesday in the carling cup he will not be as effective
    He was good in Southampton's first year in the Prem as well.

And it's not just goals, what struck me is that he looks a decent midfield player.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    agree with that - he probably only had a good season last year due to the team he was in and the number of games he got

if the only starts he gets are against burnley on a wet wednesday in the carling cup he will not be as effective

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Lambert is 32, this will be the last contract of his career, he has a chance at the title next year and CL games, not bad for a bit part player who will also get a hell if a pay rise too
    All true, and he might finish his career with a medal.

I just think it's a pity, having finally reached the premier league at the age of 30, he's decided to become a bit-part player for that rather than make the most of his last two or three years by playing as much as possible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X