• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Idiot hands his Lions place to a better player"

Collapse

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by proggy View Post
    Nope it's because there is much more at stake in big football matches, literally millions of pounds. Also the footballers are all generally magnitudes of order richer than the rugby players which generally leads to a more fearless and rebellious attitude.
    The difference between the sports was there before Sky created those millionaires, and is still there now there are millions on the line at the top of rugby.

How about fans?

Leave a comment:

• Ticktock
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    I think that's the general problem with contracting altogether, it is just about the money and not the game itself
    Are they sure they're cut out to be a footballer?

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    If money is all that is important then you have already lost the point of the game...
    I think that's the general problem with football altogether, it is just about the money and not the game itself

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Nope it's because there is much more at stake in big football matches, literally millions of pounds. Also the footballers are all generally magnitudes of order richer than the rugby players which generally leads to a more fearless and rebellious attitude.
    If money is all that is important then you have already lost the point of the game...

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Rugby can be boring if you don't understand it, just like any other sport. But we've had that discussion before.

The point I made is that authority is respected far more in rugby than it is in football.

Perhaps it is because the rugby fraternity - players, fans, administrators - are more likely to be from backgrounds where discipline and respect is valued.

Or maybe more intelligent, given their traditional roots in grammar schools and the city.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Beat me to it. I watched a Chelsea vs Manchester United game the other year and the spitting swearing and general demeanour of the players was rubbish. Compare that with the behaviour of the rugby players and I know which sport I'd rather take my son or daughter to watch.
    I take my daughter to both. League One football primarily, but occasional games at a local London and south-east division rugby club.

The difference she notices most, apart from players calling the ref 'Sir' and not disputing decisions, is that players get straight back up after being brutally bashed (her words) whereas many footballers roll about in agony from the faintest touch.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Rugby can be boring if you don't understand it, just like any other sport. But we've had that discussion before.

The point I made is that authority is respected far more in rugby than it is in football.

Perhaps it is because the rugby fraternity - players, fans, administrators - are more likely to be from backgrounds where discipline and respect is valued.

Or maybe more intelligent, given their traditional roots in grammar schools and the city.
    Yep, but I think discipline is common among contact sports. I've spoken to boxers, judokas and karate competitors who all agree that physical contact sports require disciplined and controlled use of agression, and that discipline is ingrained from the moment kids start.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I tried to watch rugby and found it tediously boring. Given the success of football globally I think it obvious which sport is more exciting to watch. A bit of anger and passion is thrilling in sport, to clamp down on it so harshly is maybe why very few watch rugby.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    True, but that says more about football than rugby.

In rugby the ref is sacrosanct, and they do as much as they can to help them, including embracing video technology.

Whereas football is run by idiots, played by w@nkers, and watched by the brainless - the ref is on his own against everybody.

And I'm a football man.
    Beat me to it. I watched a Chelsea vs Manchester United game the other year and the spitting swearing and general demeanour of the players was rubbish. Compare that with the behaviour of the rugby players and I know which sport I'd rather take my son or daughter to watch.

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Not when it involves steaming heaps of bovine excrement, no.
    Hey, if we all agreed on everything CUK would be a pretty boring place, am I right?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Not a fan of dialectical method are you?
    Not when it involves steaming heaps of bovine excrement, no.

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    ftfy
    Not a fan of dialectical method are you?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Hes obviously a rugby fan, each to their own, I was just giving my opinion. If people can't handle someone with a track record for giving completely uninformed and stupid opinions then that's pretty normal.
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    well done admin
    Hes obviously a rugby fan, each to their own, I was just giving my opinion. If people can't handle someone with a different opinion then that's pretty sad.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I tried to watch rugby and found it tediously boring. Given the success of football globally I think it obvious which sport is more exciting to watch. A bit of anger and passion is thrilling in sport, to clamp down on it so harshly is maybe why very few watch rugby.
    proggy is a confirmed cretin
    well done admin

Leave a comment:

Working...
X