• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rather sad poor girl"

Collapse

• redgiant
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    To be fair, doctors have a duty of care towards their patients, so they probably prefer to recommend treatments that actually have some chance of working rather than a load of complete and utter horsetulip about raw food and vitamins.
    How do you know it's horsetulip? Have you tried it? Have you not heard the old saying "you are what you eat"? I think people need to take some responsibility for their own health rather than just relying on what a medical professional may say and do their own research to have a balanced opinion - we are intelligent people on this board so this shouldn't be a shock. Most doctors have no nutritional training at all so how can they recommend something that they know little or nothing about.

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    You sound worse than Manto Tshabalala-Msimang
    Err ... I didn't think so SA's history on health is shocking - Zuma's statement in his HIV/AIDS trial a few years ago says it all really - something along the lines of "If I had HIV and had a shower after sex I cannot transmit HIV to a woman". Some real quackery going on there and letting millions of people down as a result

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    If the 'alternatives' actually worked as well as chemo they would be the standard therapy. Unfortunately chemotherapy is the most efficacious treatment in many cases. The conspiracy theory doesn't hold water, especially outside the US. Do you think their drug companies hold any sway in Iran?

There are alternative therapies with less horrid side effects being developed, the more advanced of them use antibodies that bind to cancer cells to deliver targeted chemo or radio therapy and reduce side effects. I'm sure they would deliver vitamin C instead if it worked.
    I know a few Iranians and the healthcare over in Iran certainly for those that can afford it isn't too bad - western drug companies have a influence out there as well so don't be fooled that the political stance reflects reality. As with many things in the middle east it's very hypocritical. Even in North Korea there are western drug companies however there is a lack of investment in healthcare so the public don't see much benefit.

Medicine is nearly always focused in treating the symptoms but not a getting to the source of the problem. I'm happy there are alternatives to the chemo/radiotherapy route as it certainly isn't reducing cancer rates.

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    the idea that your life is ruined because some soft tissue has been removed annoys me. I just don't see it as a tough decision - especially when you have six children.
    WHS.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by proggy View Post
    Wow, are you a plastic surgeon?
    Of course not. But who knows, there might be one reading the forum, and my suggestion might inspire him to try it.
    There again maybe not..

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Given her presumed wealth, I wonder whether the operation could have been carried out by cutting out the innards of the breasts and leaving the skin + nippes intact. Then they could stuff silicone in place of the removed breast material, and nobody would be any the wiser.

I guess the problem would be in getting a continuous blood supply to that skin. Or that the breast cancer could possibly start in the breast skin.

Still it is sad news that she has had to have it.

Wow, are you a plastic surgeon?

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    She did the right thing, based on the probabilities, and it's good she wrote about it, she could have easily done it without anyone knowing.

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    You really are sad. But again, someone who bonks their cleaner, I didnt expect much from you.
    Well have you got any better ideas?
    (about the breast cancer thing, not the bonking of the cleaner)

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Agreed, but I'd definitely act on it. I was offered the test before I had my son and opted not to have it; I feel differently now for obvious reasons. I'm constantly paranoid I'm going to die and leave my son a [kind of] orphan!

Good news your scan was clear!
    Well good luck MP.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I was thinking that there would be little point in having the test if you weren't going to act on the information it gave you, but I guess it could be that it puts your mind at rest and stops you worrying about it.
    My mum had a congenital heart defect that can cause premature valve failure - I decided I'd rather not know, but changed my mind last year and had a scan - it was all clear Fingers crossed yours will be good news.
    Agreed, but I'd definitely act on it. I was offered the test before I had my son and opted not to have it; I feel differently now for obvious reasons. I'm constantly paranoid I'm going to die and leave my son a [kind of] orphan!

Good news your scan was clear!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied

Only boobies innit!

I was thinking that there would be little point in having the test if you weren't going to act on the information it gave you, but I guess it could be that it puts your mind at rest and stops you worrying about it.
    My mum had a congenital heart defect that can cause premature valve failure - I decided I'd rather not know, but changed my mind last year and had a scan - it was all clear Fingers crossed yours will be good news.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied

Only boobies innit!

I'll keep my fingers crossed you don't have the gene.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    That's like saying that you have an 87% chance of getting hit by a bus, but 'might' not be killed by it. If there was a chance to avoid that, you'd probably take it.

Sadly.

I've been recommended to have this test this year, and if I have the gene I would do the same as AJ and lots of other women. I don't want to go through what other women in my family have.
    Sorry to hear that.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Given her presumed wealth, I wonder whether the operation could have been carried out by cutting out the innards of the breasts and leaving the skin + nippes intact. Then they could stuff silicone in place of the removed breast material, and nobody would be any the wiser.

I guess the problem would be in getting a continuous blood supply to that skin. Or that the breast cancer could possibly start in the breast skin.

Still it is sad news that she has had to have it.

You really are sad. But again, someone who bonks their cleaner, I didnt expect much from you.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    You sound worse than Manto Tshabalala-Msimang
    Ah, her from the Southern African Beetroot Marketing Board. Which idiot signed her timesheet?

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post

Only boobies innit!

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    That's like saying that you have an 87% chance of getting hit by a bus, but 'might' not be killed by it. If there was a chance to avoid that, you'd probably take it.

Sadly.

I've been recommended to have this test this year, and if I have the gene I would do the same as AJ and lots of other women. I don't want to go through what other women in my family have.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X