• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which Game of Thrones character are you?"

Collapse

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post

Doh! It was Nomadd that I should have been replying to. Apologies
    LOL - no worries

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Somehow you have it completely backwards, I was the one who repeatedly stated how much I enjoyed the series, whilst acknowledging there are differences to the books. If you read my posts you will notice that in some differences I actually prefer the series.

The idea that someone prefers the book story to the TV series because they prefer books to TV is a point I actually made about someone else previously in this thread.

Doh! It was Nomadd that I should have been replying to. Apologies

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    But you seem to have a problem with the show being inferior to the books, whereas really, you just prefer books because they're a more complicated medium (or at least that's the impression I get). My point is that the TV show wouldn't have been improved by addressing your criticisms of it; on the contrary it would be worse.
    Somehow you have it completely backwards, I was the one who repeatedly stated how much I enjoyed the series, whilst acknowledging there are differences to the books. If you read my posts you will notice that in some differences I actually prefer the series.

The idea that someone prefers the book story to the TV series because they prefer books to TV is a point I actually made about someone else previously in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Indeed, a point I have made myself several times on this thread,
    But you seem to have a problem with the show being inferior to the books, whereas really, you just prefer books because they're a more complicated medium (or at least that's the impression I get). My point is that the TV show wouldn't have been improved by addressing your criticisms of it; on the contrary it would be worse.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    They dumb it down to increase the mass appeal.
    FTFY

(Ironically dumbing down your post for General to understand it)

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    The screen is a simpler medium. If the plot wasn't simplified it would be impenetrable nonsense on screen.
    Indeed, a point I have made myself several times on this thread,

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    The screen is a simpler medium. If the plot wasn't simplified it would be impenetrable nonsense on screen.
    Exactly!

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Sorry, not sure why that is relevant? Although I see why they have done it.

Once again I am not sure what point you are making? One of the screen writers might well be the author but he is not a screen writer by trade and would only be part of the discussion over the final draft. They have holywooded it a bit and simplified the plot but I am still enjoying the series and make an effort to watch it.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    I think you are also forgetting that the characters in the book are waaay younger than they are portrayed in the series.
    Sorry, not sure why that is relevant? Although I see why they have done it.

You can pick holes in the series but what works in a book will not quite work on screen, so often artistic licence may be taken, but in this case at least one of the screewriters is the author.
    Once again I am not sure what point you are making? One of the screen writers might well be the author but he is not a screen writer by trade and would only be part of the discussion over the final draft. They have holywooded it a bit and simplified the plot but I am still enjoying the series and make an effort to watch it.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    A bit highbrow for you, don't you think?
    I had you down as a Tweenies man!!

No, apparently they're too colourful, so she doesn't like them, she just laughs at you, sorry, the window licker mr tumble

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I was watching TV with my youngest the other day, and I saw Mr Tumble come on.
    A bit highbrow for you, don't you think?
    I had you down as a Tweenies man!!

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I was watching TV with my youngest the other day, and I saw Mr Tumble come on. Fat, clumsy and a bit pally with the local joeys.

Shoe in for Shaunyboy I thought

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    I think you are also forgetting that the characters in the book are waaay younger than they are portrayed in the series.
    TBH, that's never been an issue for me. I can only think of a handful of minor instances from the books that had to be cut because of this (i.e. like in Book 2 where Arya gets her bare bottom spanked hard with a sword - obviously not in the t.v. series as she's played by a young actress.)

You can pick holes in the series but what works in a book will not quite work on screen, so often artistic licence may be taken, but in this case at least one of the screewriters is the author.
    Sure, we understand it has to be 'adapted'. But I think the fact that George Martin has so little to do with the screenplays now - he has only contributed to 3 of the current 10 episodes in series three, and even then he was only one of three scriptwriters employed - has hurt the adaptation IMHO. Still feel series one was the best, with series two being poorer, and series three poorer still. It's still perfectly watchable, but it is getting progressively watered-down and drifting further away from the spirit of the source material I feel.

Here's hoping they can improve things in the remaining few episodes of season three.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Ah right, I see where you are coming from now. Funnily enough I found Rob's wife more of a standard stock character in the book than in the series.

I think that the grandmother is the chief power in the series too. Remember how she handled Tyrion?

Yes, the wall climbing scene is a good example of pointless scene where cleverness and good writing was sacrificed for a bit of 'excitement' which failed to excite. Have not seen the bear fight yet, although I thought the scene with Jof and the whore was pretty effective.

I guess they have 'sold out' a little and added extra fights and nudity as well as trimming down on the complexity in order to increase mass appeal, I am still enjoying the series though despite some of my favorite characters taking a temporary back seat.

Leave a comment:

• gricerboy
    replied
    Renly Baratheon here

Leave a comment:

Working...
X