• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Buying stuff from US"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw
    Actually not true - it depends on the value of the gift. You can still be liable.
    You're not wrong there - I was sent a rather lovely Chanel handbag, worth £400 or there abouts and was stung for £90 odd quid on its arrival to the UK.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruprect
    Undoubtably yes. I bought £300 quids worth of goods and got stung for an additional £80 when it arrived.

The only way round it is to get them to package it (and on the postage label) mark it as a gift. I doubt the people you're buying it from would do this, and the VAT man can always open it up (and presumably find a dispatch note) so this isn't guaranteed. Not that I would even consider trying that of course.
    Actually not true - it depends on the value of the gift. You can still be liable.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Bit of a have really, especially if you have already paid tax on the purchase where you got it from.

BTW, anyone know what happened with that case involved HM Customs and their duble taxing of European alcohol etc?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    No wonder colonists rebelled against taxes

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Yeah that's what I thought, oh well, at least price difference is not as big as it used to be.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Undoubtably yes. I bought £300 quids worth of goods and got stung for an additional £80 when it arrived.

The only way round it is to get them to package it (and on the postage label) mark it as a gift. I doubt the people you're buying it from would do this, and the VAT man can always open it up (and presumably find a dispatch note) so this isn't guaranteed. Not that I would even consider trying that of course.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    You'll be hit with VAT and possibly other duty on top.

Only worth doing if the thing you want is not easily available in the UK.

To do it to save money rarely works as the nice C&E people make sure El Gordo gets a big fat slice.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    How to find out how much custom duty will be? Will they also charge VAT on import? It seems that if dury is over 15-20% then its pretty pointless to import stuff that I want.
    To be honest, unless it's a great bargain and possibly small size then once you factor in customs and shipping plus intangibles (Local sale vs foreign sale etc) it's not normally worth it. Cost varies on value of goods and type.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    How to find out how much custom duty will be? Will they also charge VAT on import? It seems that if dury is over 15-20% then its pretty pointless to import stuff that I want.

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Suppose I want to buy few grand worth of IT hardware from USA, would it be hit by UK custom duties/VAT?
    In theory yes. Doesn't always happen (I bought loads of Cisco kit for my lab via ebay from the US and about 75% of the time I got hit with Custom Duties). Depends how it's worded I guess - if you can get the other end to lie about what it is, and maybe downplay the value (Screws your insurance).

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    it'll take fecking ages to get through EU customs

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    started a topic Buying stuff from US

Buying stuff from US

Suppose I want to buy few grand worth of IT hardware from USA, would it be hit by UK custom duties/VAT?

Working...
X