• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Atheism is not viable"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Well done for bringing this one back from the dead.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    JabberWocky

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
    There is only one God .. water. Without which we would not be.
    There is only one God .. carbon. Without which we would not be.
    There is only one God .. the big bang. Without which we would not be.
    There is only one God .. sex. Without which we would not be.
    Steady on, POW, a new polytheist religion - but where each God thinks it is the only one? Mortals would have to be good at keeping secrets then.

What are you going to call this religion?

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    Originally posted by jsm66
    There is only one God .. the sun. Without which we would not be.
    There is only one God .. water. Without which we would not be.
    There is only one God .. carbon. Without which we would not be.
    There is only one God .. the big bang. Without which we would not be.
    There is only one God .. sex. Without which we would not be.

Leave a comment:

• jsm66
    replied
    God -- RAH

There is only one God .. the sun. Without which we would not be.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Oh dear

Couldnt be bothered to read all 8 pages (that 10,000 word dissertation was too much - I mean shaggy dog stories were a novelty when you were 10), but my take is that there is no god ... to prove it to yourself in one evening, just watch the filming of Auschwitz after it had been overrun by the Russians, listen to the story of the Ukranian prisoner who described throwing babies onto the massed women in the gas chambers as he was ordered to kill as many as possible, look at what happened in Sabra and Chatilla, in Srebenica, Rwanda, and a thousand other towns and cities around the planet.

God doesnt exist, suffering does for millions, and at the same time, pleasure exists for millions. Forget your gods, just get on with the limited lifespan you have. And if you can, just make someones life a little more pleasant each day.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

It's mid-summer's day tomorrow. How about a few pagan threads for a change?
    Please no...I've managed to get out of some weird birthing ritual down the local duckpond, organised by a few of my pagan friends. They're just as bonkers as Choco. What is it with people these days that they feel the need to abdicate responsibility for their own lives and let some mysterious spooky force run it for them ?

If you must have a God, at least have one that is going to do what you demand him/her/it to do, as opposed to being in him/her/its eternal thrall.

To celebrate solitice, I have my eye in a nice 400-year old oak tree and a chainsaw....heh..heh....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

It's mid-summer's day tomorrow. How about a few pagan threads for a change?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Did Chico answer my question? The briefness of this life prevents me from summoning up enough will to read through the rest of his drivel in the vain hope of spotting a straight answer.
    If anyone did get a question answered satisfactorily by Chico could they please start a new thread called "Miracles occasionally do happen" and we'll take it from there.

Thankyou.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Go on Jab...tell us how wonderful the Crusades were
    Well I think the current crusade in Iraq has been fairly successful, but that comment perhaps, may be a banana too far.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

PPS
    It also has to be set against the general barbarity of the times. They may well have tortured and executed in the name of religion, but they did exactly the same thing for minor criminal offences or sometime just on the whim of the ruling classes.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Sorry geek but yo is talking bollox. Those slaughtered in the name of religion are more than the millions who died due to Stalin, Hitler, Pot? I don't think so.

In any case, to go back so far is to confuse the issue. Religion was not just religion in those days, it was the assumed basis for everything, it was their science, their society and their politics. Sure, many wars were fought then in the name of religion, but the actual motives were conquest, rivalries, power struggles and all the other things makind like to fight over. Take away the religion and the wars would still have been fought.

I think the same often applies today, the IRA is defending the Catholic faith, the Chechens are fighting for Islam? All sorts like to claim some holy cause, the real motive often has nothing to do with religion.

PS Five year olds sliding off crusaders' swords?? Good grief! It must be national treacle day. Anyhow crusaders always used pikes for five years olds, those cross bits stopped them sliding off.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

How compassionate Chico !

I talk of the milllions of lives, snuffed out in the name of religion, and all you can advise me is to have a lie down and a cup of Bovril.

You can't even acknowledge it can you ?

So much for compassion eh ?

I don't want your Bovril thanks. Give it to your Blood God, as a fitting tribute for his genocide.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Oh dear

BGG

Time to have a lie down and a cup of bovril.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: the Kitten, obviously

think Chico has a noble cause - to enlighten and bring hope to the twisted bitter and cycnical chimps on here. If he can offer a banana or two of comfort then good for him. Chico is offering you all a better life, one with answers, better answers than you have already. He will optimize your life code like no other compiler, and if truth be told, some of you really like a good debugging
    There is NOTHING noble about Choco's cause, unless of course you consider all the innocent lives destroyed throughout history in the name of religion (take your pick) as NOBLE.

Go on Jab...tell us how wonderful the Crusades were, at slaughtering people of a different belief and bringing God's Word to them.

Take a time machine back to the battlefields of the crusades, and tell the families who lost their sons and fathers that "It's ok...we're just doing our God's Will and saving you".

Look the 5 year old little girl in the eyes as she slides off the crusader's sword and say "Don't worry luv, we're doing it for you."

How dare you accuse me of being twisted and bitter, when the acts of Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin and other dictators pale in to complete insignifiance compared to the millions of lives lost at the hand of the Blood God and his murderous servants.

Yes, I admit, I am twisted.

Twisted because I do not share your hatred and contempt of those who do not follow the Blood God.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X