• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Can I have some of what they're smoking..."

Collapse

Guest replied
    Re: Top Tip

Nice piece of lateral thinking there.
    Cant claim it as mine Im afraid, top tip from a coleague. It works incredibly well if you have the time to sort it out.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Sorry, not made myself clear, dont just book one ticket from departure to destination, buy three or four tickets to way point on route.
    Ah, gotcha. Nice piece of lateral thinking there.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Exactly Mr Widget,

"multiple tickets per journey" is a brilliant way to travel and can save a packet at the same time.

Last time I was challenged by a young and keen jobsworth GNER ticket inspector I let him make a bit of a fuss - I let the argument roll-on for 5 mins then got bored with bear baiting

Like a smartarse I produced a printout of section C17 from the national conditions of carriage (which all the train operating companies have to comply with) - which states ....

"You may use two or more tickets..." blah blah

Needless to say he was a beaten man !

Everytime he sees me now he just smiles politely and clips both tickets...bless him !

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The way to ease all congestion is to have fewer people in this country - now at 60 million we are, quite simply, full up.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Sorry, not made myself clear, dont just book one ticket from departure to destination, buy three or four tickets to way point on route.
    i.e.
    To get from Lancaster to London.
    Book Lancaster - Wigan, Wigan - Rugby, Rugby - Wembley and then Wembley - Euston or some weird combo.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Dont book a single ticket
    Not necessarily. For example, Virgin Trains fares between London and Birmingham are substantially cheaper if you buy two singles rather than one return (in fact, the ticket booking websh1tes even advise you to do this).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Top Tip

Dont book a single ticket. Do some research.

The railways charge based on destination, departure and arrival times so if you must arrive in London at 10 then do so from Milton Keynes. Break your journey up into small sections that one or more criteria falls without the peak charging area.

HTH |I

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have noticed that without fail female passengers always put their bags on the seat next to them
    Are you mad? It's summer, and the pretty young ladies are wearing their lovely summer outfits I love summer

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    As GBB has already pointed out, peak travel tickets are already substantially more expensive (they are on GNER thats for sure !)

This can be used to your advantage if you "know the system" !!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    so women should be charged double
    Nope, they should be at home doing the ironing and making me some PIE!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have noticed that without fail female passengers always put their bags on the seat next to them...so women should be charged double

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The best way to solve the overcrowding problem is to charge fat people double. That way the buggers will be forced to walk and get more exercise, and my nostrils won't be assualted each morning with their pneumatic B.O. It's a win/win situation

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    i conclude if the extra money goes to the government it will be a way of trying to fill the gap lossed from petrol tax as the people switch to the train
    English-motherfeckur-can-you-speak-it?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    "Aren't peak tickets already more expensive than off peak?"

No doubt NL heavies will be around shortly to correct your warped thinking

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Aren't peak tickets already more expensive than off peak?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X