• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Found some money yesterday..."

Collapse

• Phoenix
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsGoof
    not when I was a young-un, being draged to the local working mens club, given my bottle of coke and a bag of crisps. Then someone would stand up and say "I'm off for a thrupney" and upon return would utter the histerical line "i'd give that ten minutes if I were you"

I was aware of the other usage, except that was used with the plural "Thrupneys"

So if you fancy a bit of "Bendy" or a quick "Melvin" send me your "Samantha Mumba"

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    I'm just stating what was used.

If you so wish, I appologise for the misuse of rhyming slang by the adults that surrounded me whilst I were a wee nipper.

Now go curl up in some nice fireplace untill the chldren want to play.

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    not when I was a young-un, being draged to the local working mens club, given my bottle of coke and a bag of crisps. Then someone would stand up and say "I'm off for a thrupney" and upon return would utter the histerical line "i'd give that ten minutes if I were you"

I was aware of the other usage, except that was used with the plural "Thrupneys"

But your not a Londoner?
    Here is the "official" Cockney translation, with variation.......

Thrupenny Bits Tits (breasts)

tulip Tom Tit

tulip William Pitt "I'm off for a William Pitt"

tulip Eartha Kitt

tulip Brace and Bit

tulip Brad Pitt (others)

tulipe Ben Cartwright

tulipe Barry White

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk.../letter/T.aspx

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
    My most memorable terror attack was the time when the IRA shot a few mortars at Dowing Street, I was somebody in the City at the time and I recall loads of people running around the Bank underground with one guy screaming out Londons under attack !
    Alfred, old chap, I think you've got skipped threads

Though it sounds as if it might have been a "thrupney" inducing moment

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Phoenix
    replied
    I grew up ariound the phrase
    "I'm off for a Thrupney"
    MrsGoof! where are you from? If it's rhyming slang you are after I think "Thrupneys" would be tits...... and going for a "Tom Tit" would be what you are doing......

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    My most memorable terror attack was the time when the IRA shot a few mortars at Dowing Street, I was somebody in the City at the time and I recall loads of people running around the Bank underground with one guy screaming out Londons under attack !

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by Fleetwood
    Agree.
    Aimez-vous être mon ami spécial?

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    I've always thought it was "a raging case of the Thrup’ny bits..."
    Agree.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    The term ...A foot like a thrupney bit ...was used in my locale to describe football players who lacked precision with their shooting.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    I've always thought it was Montezuma's Revenge.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    I grew up ariound the phrase
    "I'm off for a Thrupney"

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Nope, wrong end of the body
    Tom Tit I think is the proper slang if I am thinking along the same lines. You may have to explain.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Nope, wrong end of the body

Leave a comment:

Working...
X