• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Nexus 7

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nexus 7"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Coalman View Post
    I have a Nexus 10 and it's great.
    Would recommend the 10 over the 7 if you can stretch to the cost.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    That depends, the 7 is very portable.

I bought one at launch and it goes everywhere with me, I know quite a few people who own iPads but still bought an N7 for that reason.

2 of them have realised their preconceived fears about Android were unfounded and they have since ditched their iPhone's in favour of an Android device.

My Nexus 4 turned up a few days ago, I worship at the church of Google™.

Leave a comment:

• tranceporter
    replied
    Good thread. I think I am going to get a Nexus 10 as well. A windows laptop, iphone 5 and an Android tablet. Dabbling in all 3.

Leave a comment:

• Tensai
    replied
    Get lost...

.... or you will do if you rely on the 7's GPS chip. Almost impossible to get it to lock on to the sats with any consistency. It's a common problem (according to Mr Google) so don't throw away your TomTom just yet.

Am beginning to think a Nexus 10 would be better - and I can recycle the 7 to Mrs Tensai as a Valentine's "gift"

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Got my boy one for Christmas (sorry Santa did) - really pleased with it and would recommend.

Leave a comment:

• FarmerPalmer
    replied
    Bought my wife one for Christmas, because she asked for one, and I did wonder if she would ever use it.

Well she does, a lot.

I work from my home office a lot and she uses it rather and power up the other PC. She uses it look things up when we are watching TV and in bed discussing something. She loves it.

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Re: Nexus 7

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I agree. My Dad has a 21" monitor on his desktop, as well as a 15" laptop. I know what he'd say if I suggested he should use a 7" tablet as an alternative. Maybe you should just get him a decent laptop.

From my point of view, I was sorely tempted until I tried one. If you have a decent phone, a 7" tablet just seems a bit pointless. Too small to be worth the effort.

I always found 10" tablets pointless if you have a netbook or ultra book. I have an 11" Dell ultrabook - super thin and portable. I was after a 7" tablet specifically so that I would quit draining my phone's battery by midday. Either way, it's definitely worth thinking about your tech habits before committing to either size.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    I haven't got one, but it looks like the screen cracks very easily.
    All tablets have screens that can crack easily.

You need to get a case of some sort for a tablet if you are going to carry it around.

Leave a comment:

• Coalman
    replied
    Re: Nexus 7

I have a Nexus 10 and it's great.
    Would recommend the 10 over the 7 if you can stretch to the cost.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    My only suggestion would be, as it is your Dad's 70th, to get the Nexus 10, not the 7. And that is only down to eyesight and overall fiddlyness of a 7" tablet.
    I agree. My Dad has a 21" monitor on his desktop, as well as a 15" laptop. I know what he'd say if I suggested he should use a 7" tablet as an alternative. Maybe you should just get him a decent laptop.

From my point of view, I was sorely tempted until I tried one. If you have a decent phone, a 7" tablet just seems a bit pointless. Too small to be worth the effort.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by SarahL2012 View Post
    Anyone got one? Pros / cons????
    I haven't got one, but it looks like the screen cracks very easily.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    ... ePub ...
    is that like a webcam in a pub, or something ?

I'm off to the real pub soon

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I got my kids one each and they seem to like them and use them a lot. Social networking, games, skype etc etc etc.

My only suggestion would be, as it is your Dad's 70th, to get the Nexus 10, not the 7. And that is only down to eyesight and overall fiddlyness of a 7" tablet.

Leave a comment:

• SarahL2012
    replied
    Thanks everyone

The surprise dinner is already being organised - he hates that kind of thing, so expecting to get disinherited shortly after.

We wanted to get him something a bit special & if he really doesn't like it, then I'll have it back off him & he can have socks instead!!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I got one as I can read all my ePub format books on it which you can't do on the Kindle. Its also good for while I'm lying on my bed in the hotel watching films on, last night was Porridge the Movie followed by 2 episodes of Keeping Up Appearances. I only got the WiFi one as the 3g wasn't available at the time but it tethers to my laptop or phone with no problems.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I got my mum a Nexus 7 for Christmas, seems to do everything she needs, email, web, facebook etc

Leave a comment:

Working...
X