• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A rough method of working out your day rate"

Collapse

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Shimano105
    - Variety of clients
    Not only for contractors
    - Being able to walk if you don't like a place, without fear of how it will look on your CV
    Not only for contractors

- Extended time off (not a couple of weeks at a time booked 12 months in advance) - especially useful after a stressful deployment when you feel like jacking it all in.
    Not for all contractors, in many case an extended time off simply means you have to find a new contract

- No need to engage with other f uckwits if you don't wish to, or bend over for the line manager on a daily basis. No need to turn up to tiresome social events in your own time, when you really want to be with your real friends
    You don't have to as a permie, I never turn up to social events.
    - No need to be first in / last out and get no cash for doing so
    No permie is being forced to.

- Master of one's own destiny. Looking back at ten years of variety without thinking where did it all go?
    Oh well that applies to everybody.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw
    It strikes me as an excercise in futility coming onto an IT contractors board and trying to argue that being permie is better ... don't you have you're own 'special needs' forum or are you to busy tonguing your bosses choclate starfish in a misguided attempt to wangle a bigger bonus or a good performance review ...
    Far from me saying something like this as I have already decided that sometimes next year I will go contracting again.

However, I don't like when people say that there are so many intangible benefits rather than money and perhaps they can accept a lower rate for that. The rate is the most important thing and what should discriminate. There is no way that any contractor should accept a similar or lower rate than a permie.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw
    It strikes me as an excercise in futility coming onto an IT contractors board and trying to argue that being permie is better ... don't you have you're own 'special needs' forum or are you to busy tonguing your bosses choclate starfish in a misguided attempt to wangle a bigger bonus or a good performance review ...
    Excellent

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    - Variety of clients

- Being able to walk if you don't like a place, without fear of how it will look on your CV

- Extended time off (not a couple of weeks at a time booked 12 months in advance) - especially useful after a stressful deployment when you feel like jacking it all in.

- No need to engage with other f uckwits if you don't wish to, or bend over for the line manager on a daily basis. No need to turn up to tiresome social events in your own time, when you really want to be with your real friends

- No need to be first in / last out and get no cash for doing so

- Master of one's own destiny. Looking back at ten years of variety without thinking where did it all go?

Can't see a permie job providing any of the above....

Leave a comment:

• chunkymonkey
    replied
    I was actually gardening (if you can call that work) and am looking forward to my next 2 weeks until my course is ready, then possibly another couple of weeks to rejig and get that well paid contract then on a real holiday, do I want to go back to being a permie - I dont think so, my mortgage is paid, I have time at home - not working and I can tell the ignorant line manager pencil pusher where to go.

The days when a permie had more benefits and job security than a contractor are over, vive le contracteur

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    Not really. I'm off back to the garden for another pina colada. My days work is done...

So you are probably talking about working from home. Well I do it about 20 days a year, some people here do it 30-40% of the days.

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    day's

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Not really. I'm off back to the garden for another pina colada. My days work is done...

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    If you can't see the advantages then you're in the right place as a permie.
    The intangible benefits? Now, you are talking as a permie.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    If you can't see the advantages then you're in the right place as a permie.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    The real contractor is the one who sees more advantages to the contractor lifestyle than the cash...

...like????? What's the contractor lifestyle that you can't do it as a permie? Why worrying about performance review if you're happy with your salary? You will still need to keep good references even if you are contractor for future contracts so I can't really see the difference. And many companies offer you more than 20 days (I have 30 for example).

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko
    If they offer you a rate of 40 pounds an hour and a permie job of 100k a year, would you still go contracting? I think it is quite reasonable to take as a starting point your equivalent permie salary.

p.s. the real contractor is the one who doesn't believe in anything and he's also ready to sell himself as a permie should the daily rate be more.

Total dogsh1te. A £100K permie position with 20 days holiday a year, tugging your forelock to a line manager on a daily basis while worrying about your annual appraisal? I don't think so.

The real contractor is the one who sees more advantages to the contractor lifestyle than the cash...

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    I tend to use the trusted method of Rolex watches @week /5

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    erm, as a contractor on a day rate, why would I want to know this information? Is it for permies who aspire to be contractors but in the end find reasons not to?

If they offer you a rate of 40 pounds an hour and a permie job of 100k a year, would you still go contracting? I think it is quite reasonable to take as a starting point your equivalent permie salary.

p.s. the real contractor is the one who doesn't believe in anything and he's also ready to sell himself as a permie should the daily rate be more.
    Last edited by Francko; 4 July 2006, 11:00.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X