• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Which Car

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which Car"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    A6 Quattro 3.0 TDI Estate S Line.

That's what I'm looking at. Not a fugly crossover, nice leather seats, SAT NAV etc, 4-wheel drive. 150 MPH top speed and 0-62 in about 7 seconds with 35 MPG economy.

Perfect compromise get the contractor to work in comfort and style without looking flash motor.
    But: Audis still Britain’s favourite car to have driving right up your arse

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

That's what I'm looking at. Not a fugly crossover, nice leather seats, SAT NAV etc, 4-wheel drive. 150 MPH top speed and 0-62 in about 7 seconds with 35 MPG economy.

Perfect compromise get the contractor to work in comfort and style without looking flash motor.
    I only get 37 mpg out of my a4 2.0 tdi 2wd avant, so 35 sounds ambitious.

Leave a comment:

• rob s
    replied
    V8 defender 90 with big knobbly balloon tyres and jacked up suspension.

I was also fairly surprised at the recent vitaras - even in snow uphill they do seem to grip like w***ers

Leave a comment:

• IR35FanClub
    replied
    Nissan juke? Taking delivery of a 2WD for the missus tomorrow.. Ive got an Xtrail hardly use it now, but its served its purpose the last week ... half the office didnt turn up and i swapped from using the train to getting in the car and invoiced an extra 3 days. Would cost me £400 a year in fuel extra so 4wd still worth it.

Bear in mind quattro is awd not 4wd so the earlier comments about renewing tyres isnt valid. That only applies if you have diff locks and the wheels are forced to rotate at the same speed. You should only EVER use diff locks on sand, mud or ice to avoid getting "transmission wind up". Baiscally the tyres rotate different amounts on left and right or front to back and eventually you rip the teeth off the diffs or snap a prop shaft. Ive seen lots of 4wd boekn down in the wet, where i assume the owners never read the manual and stuck it in full 4wd not auto.

The other thing to bear in mind with a awd saloon type car is that they dont have the ground clearance of a 4wd. so if the snow gets really deep youll get stuck on the snow.

Also bear in mind a big 4wd will take longer to stop than a smaller car (with or without 4wd). 4wd only gets you moving, it doesnt alter the laws of friction and momentum which a lot of 4wd drive owners dont seem to realise judging by their speed recently.

So all that said.... the small 4wd juke acceta premium 1.6 with 190 bhp looks good (but it has marmite kerb appeal). big ground clearance, proper selectable 4wd. I got the 115bhp 2wd on a 2 year lease for £224/month, all i have to pay extra for is insurance and fuel.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I will ask my chauffeur for you

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Anyone got any experience of owning a Suburu Legacy?
    Not owned, but test drove this for pater. A good car in diesel config, quite poky, petrol ones are inefficient.
    Didn't like the electrinic hand brake but I guess could get used to it.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisPackit
    replied
    Put the Range Rover up for sale a few weeks ago as I've started using it on my daily commute of 90 miles and it returns about 20mpg and that's the diesel too - Must say though since the snow arrived, theres no other car I'd rather be in... but for the other 50 weeks of the year when there is no snow ...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    After my car failed miserably in the snow today I want to think about a new car, ideally 4x4 but I also don't want a SUV type vehicle, which basically leaves me the A6 Allroad or the fugly cross over types like the Volvo XC range, are there any other alternatives?

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Which says to me, there is no point having one. Just stay at home like everyone else.
    I live in the middle of nowhere - 4x4s are the only thing on the road around here at the moment so definitely glad I've got one. At least I can get out to the shops etc.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Toyota RAV-4. Not really a full on SUV - I've got the 2.2 diesel & get 40 mpg out of it on average.

Had mine 5 years now and don't have any complaints. Seems to do most of what a 4x4 is supposed to do like driving through 6 inches of snow to get to work as I did this morning only to find that the office was closed for the day
    Which says to me, there is no point having one. Just stay at home like everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Anyone got any experience of owning a Suburu Legacy?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    What car failed?
    Toyota Avensis

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    After my car failed miserably in the snow today I want to think about a new car, ideally 4x4 but I also don't want a SUV type vehicle, which basically leaves me the A6 Allroad or the fugly cross over types like the Volvo XC range, are there any other alternatives?
    What car failed?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    So too do BMW's in Europe but for some very odd reason, they wouldnt sell them in the UK and are only just starting to make them available.
    I saw the xDrive system but its not available in the UK on the 5 Series (I assume like MB with the 4MATIC system its dificult converting it to a RHD), and the 3 Series is too small even the Touring for three kids, which basically leaves the A6 Allroad or Volvo XC70 unless I go for the fugly cross overs like the Q5

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Oh, and you may want to reconsider that audi engine if this report is correct.

1 in 27 audi engines fail

Leave a comment:

Working...
X