• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh Dear - Indian Call Centre"

Collapse

• interested
    replied
    Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
    There is no way an odd transaction could take place without the bank contacting you first. This must have been over-ridden by some working for the bank.
    TO be fair - someone from India did ring me up at some stage, but I could not understand what they were on about such was the accent of the person at the other end. All I could understand was something like 'have you used your card' to which I replied 'yes'.

And it was for several transactions over a week or so, not one large transaction.

Hmm

Leave a comment:

• Clog II The Avenger
    replied
    Inside Job

Originally posted by interested
    This is interesting. I had about £2k taken out of my HSBC account recently, apparently in the form of cash withdrawals in Singapore dollars apparently from cash machines in Europe.

Odd, considering I generally don't leave Zone 2 if I can help it. HSBC duly paid the money back to me after about 4 weeks but didn't seem to give a toss about the whole thing.
    There is no way an odd transaction could take place without the bank contacting you first. This must have been over-ridden by some working for the bank.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    And you can do instantaneous transfers to Nationwide accounts, although not exclusively NW, there are a fair number of people that have them now.

And they don't laud over nonsense Lloyds bank conns that say "ooooo, we pay interest on the day your money is cashed in". Well if you paid interest rates of 4.25% like Nationwide then you wouldn't have to go for these catchy gimmicks.

hyperD in "Natwest Commissioned based Salesman" mode.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    And for those like me who are oft in lands foreign, they don't charge you everytime you make a cash withdrawal.
    And they give you the day's money market rate on currency conversions, not the crappy loaded tourist rate like all the others do.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Good point hyperD.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Why should they? It's your money going walkies.

Top Tip:

Nationwide offer better rates, full Internet banking, and are based completely in the UK with no foreign branches or call centres. Your data never leaves the UK.

HTH
    And for those like me who are oft in lands foreign, they don't charge you everytime you make a cash withdrawal.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Why should they? It's your money going walkies.

Top Tip:

Nationwide offer better rates, full Internet banking, and are based completely in the UK with no foreign branches or call centres. Your data never leaves the UK.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• interested
    replied
    This is interesting. I had about £2k taken out of my HSBC account recently, apparently in the form of cash withdrawals in Singapore dollars apparently from cash machines in Europe.

Odd, considering I generally don't leave Zone 2 if I can help it. HSBC duly paid the money back to me after about 4 weeks but didn't seem to give a toss about the whole thing.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Or this one

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/saving-...8&in_page_id=7

mind you that was for a lot more and wasn't in India

Leave a comment:

• Hart-floot
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    This is not the first such activity to occur, just the first to break cover.

I reported on this forum nearly two years ago that I had met a bloke reponsible for security issues with a major credit card company (he didn't say which one) who had just been out to India to sort out a problem of staff selling customer details. He expected it to make the news but it never did.

How many other problems have gone unreported?
    Only way financial journalists get stories is via tip offs from the like of whistle blowers and people like us cos they're lazy bast***s . Should have tried this link

http://www.thesun.co.uk/section/0,,23,00.html

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Think how much it would cost a crime syndicate to bribe a call centre manager in India?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    This is not the first such activity to occur, just the first to break cover.

I reported on this forum nearly two years ago that I had met a bloke reponsible for security issues with a major credit card company (he didn't say which one) who had just been out to India to sort out a problem of staff selling customer details. He expected it to make the news but it never did.

How many other problems have gone unreported?

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    will this or a 2nd occurence be on the front page of the Sun
    will Auntie and ITV make a big issue of it during the news

I believe the answeres willto both these will be NO and if it happend a 2nd time then the answers will still be NO.

Apathy is how the main highstreet banks (HSBC, NATWEST, LLOYS and Barclays) survive. If you compare (in a general sence) thier products with most others availabe you'll find they are not very competitive but, people still stick with them.

Long live Apathy and all that sail with her.

Leave a comment:

• BobTheCrate
    replied
    That's as maybe. But if the HSBC over estimate that apathy, they're playing a bloody risky and unnecessary game. Particularly if their 'steps' don't measure up and it happens a 2nd time !

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by BobTheCrate
    Now this has become public knowledge, the HSBC will have to solidly reassure all their UK customers.

The alternative is their UK customer base will be dessimated rapidly as people switch out of fear, worry or anger.
    you seem to be underestimating the level of apathy people have when it comes to their finances.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X