• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Indoor Fireworks

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Indoor Fireworks"

Collapse

• Malcolm Buggeridge
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    You can get weedkiller (sodium chlorate), sugar and matches in the UK. Spread liberally on the kitchen table and ignite.

Best indoor fireworks ever. Really. And totally safe
    Yes, us young rakes used to make homemade landmines from that stuff.

Take an empty boot polish tin, stick a piece of flintstone in it, pack it with sodium chlorate and replace the lid. Then carefully insert a heavy duty nail through the lid directly above the piece of flint.

Then hide it in long grass, preferably where someone you're not too keen on takes their daily walk, and wait for them to stand on your IED causing the nail to strike the flint, creating a spark, and bang!

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    You're not kiddin' about available fun From making little sticks of dynamite with drinking straws and jetex fuse right up to the 4lb copper pipe bomb that I used on a disused railway bridge in Bowling in 1975 (sorry you honour, i didn't know what I was doing, I'm only 15).

There's a plan B for you CH. Import uninhibited Sodium Chlorate. You have a buyer lined up already
    I hated chemistry at school preferring physics but I made an exception when it came to explosives, musta been the Irish blood

Growing up there were no age restrictions on buying fireworks so those became the building blocks for bigger and better home made jobs.

One guy in the street used to nick his father's shotgun catridges and swap them for ciggies, how I exploited that

The new houses the council built had three foot high brick walls separating them with half brick gaps every four feet or so, just enough for a jam jar to be placed in the gaps, light the fuse and run like fck.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    I'm sure you're right and the current weedkiller chemicals are mostly inert but much fun was had as a kid...
    You're not kiddin' about available fun From making little sticks of dynamite with drinking straws and jetex fuse right up to the 4lb copper pipe bomb that I used on a disused railway bridge in Bowling in 1975 (sorry you honour, i didn't know what I was doing, I'm only 15).

There's a plan B for you CH. Import uninhibited Sodium Chlorate. You have a buyer lined up already

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Can you still get uninhibited sodium chlorate in the UK ? I thought the stuff you could buy now was explosive inhibited.

In my teenage years I got into a bit of trouble with the old sodium chlorate and sugar combination A school toilet block and a disused railway bridge will testify to my actions or they would if I hadn't blown the f*ckers up.....

I absolutely LOVE amateur pyrotechnics
    I'm sure you're right and the current weedkiller chemicals are mostly inert but much fun was had as a kid...

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    You can get weedkiller (sodium chlorate), sugar and matches in the UK. Spread liberally on the kitchen table and ignite.

Can you still get uninhibited sodium chlorate in the UK ? I thought the stuff you could buy now was explosive inhibited.

In my teenage years I got into a bit of trouble with the old sodium chlorate and sugar combination A school toilet block and a disused railway bridge will testify to my actions or they would if I hadn't blown the f*ckers up.....

I absolutely LOVE amateur pyrotechnics

Leave a comment:

• Asper A Gus
    replied
    Plugging a fuse in Malcolm Buggeridge's arse and setting fire to it also provides the same effects.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    They won't even let you take Christmas crackers in your hand luggage

They will be banning heroin next.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm Buggeridge
    replied
    Through the post? Hmmmm... how about just this: Amazon.co.uk: table firewroks
    Fantastic. They've obviously been unbanned!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Easier to fly over and carry them back in your hand luggage.
    They won't even let you take Christmas crackers in your hand luggage

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post
    Ooh, I may have to look into that.

Wonder if I could order some and have them sent to the UK?
    Through the post? Hmmmm... how about just this: Amazon.co.uk: table firewroks

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

Easier to fly over and carry them back in your hand luggage.

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm Buggeridge
    replied
    Rizlas also do this. Mind you, we have no problem getting indoor fireworks here: Amazon.de: Tischfeuerwerk

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Take one of these wrappers, flatten it out and form a cylinder. Stand the paper cylinder on the dining table, and set light to the top of it with a match.
    Rizlas also do this. Mind you, we have no problem getting indoor fireworks here: Amazon.de: Tischfeuerwerk

Leave a comment:

• Malcolm Buggeridge
    started a topic Indoor Fireworks

Indoor Fireworks

Years ago, a box of indoor fireworks would always feature as the post prandial entertainment at the annual Buggeridge Christmas dinner.

Now that those miserable health and safety scrooges have declared them illegal, we have had to come up with other forms of diversion but a chance meeting with an old chum at the Cock and Bottle last night has given me an idea of how to recreate those indoor pyrotechnics of Buggeridge Christmases past.

You see, according to my pal, all one needs is a box of ameretti biscuits or, more precisely, the wax paper wrappers in which they are enclosed.

Take one of these wrappers, flatten it out and form a cylinder. Stand the paper cylinder on the dining table, and set light to the top of it with a match.

Before the flames reach the bottom of the cylinder, the whole thing will lift off and form a floating "ring of fire" just like those indoor fireworks of yesteryear.

(A similar effect can be achieved by setting light to a paper party hat and is all the more amusing when said paper hat is perched atop the head of your great aunt).

Working...
X