• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Economy still stuffed"

Collapse

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    What has he eaten on the real Christmas day in past years? A roast goose inside a roast swan?
    I knew him from school. He hasnt done it, just a ploy for dosh, which has worked.

He is quoted as saying Xmas day was the only day he didn't eat an Xmas meal.

Tool then, tool now, although I do hope hes made a few quid from it.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    What is it with this town and Xmas though; it's the home of the lad Park who claims to eat Xmas dinner every day...

Edit:

This lad
    What has he eaten on the real Christmas day in past years? A roast goose inside a roast swan?

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Nothing to do with the economy - it's that Christmas has become too dangerous Stanley Christmas tree pulled down after lights were switched over fears vandals could be electrocuted | Mail Online

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Check out Longford Road, Melksham Christmas lights and imagine living next door to that. He's turned it into charitable work now (presumably so he can reclaim his electricity forst), but it's an eyesore.

What is it with this town and Xmas though; it's the home of the lad Park who claims to eat Xmas dinner every day...

Edit:

This lad

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    You mean, as in Oxford Street, or as in...

Paul Toole's Christmas lights in pictures - Telegraph
    What a Toole. Imagine living nextdoor to that.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Christmas lights cause Global Warming.

Scientists warn Christmas lights harm the planet | The Courier-Mail

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    It's done pretty well in Guildford / surrey , having been in Maidenhead for a stint it's a breath of fresh air.

Maidenhead was awful for it though.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post

Good point! I meant like Paul O'Toole's stuff. Best was a house with a train, a reindeer and santa climbing up a ladder! Usually at least one house has about 40 moving lights.

I am not even sure you can drive up Oxford Street at the moment? Even buses/taxis are banned?

Leave a comment:

• RasputinDude
    replied
    I've seen a similar decrease in the number of 'corporate' lights - by which I mean lights that are put on by an organisation.

However, last night I was out doing a Santa's sleigh with the Round Table and all of the houses that I went to were very generous with their donations.

I would argue that individuals are still contributing, but they are now very much more savvy about who they give money to. Organisations however, are trying to shed costs left, right and centre and the Christamas lights are an easy target.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ketchup
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    For the last 8 years I have been driving the kids round to see the Christmas lights every December. 2004-2008 it was easy - short drive - see loads. Every year since then it has tailed off. Last night was the most miserable I have ever seen. Almost no Christmas lights. Even the ones that collected for charity are not doing it this year - presumably they did not collect enough last year.
    I have a similar way of judging the economy. When i go and visit my parents, i drive past a little farmshop, i always take not of the price of a kilo of potatoes

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    started a topic Economy still stuffed

Economy still stuffed

For the last 8 years I have been driving the kids round to see the Christmas lights every December. 2004-2008 it was easy - short drive - see loads. Every year since then it has tailed off. Last night was the most miserable I have ever seen. Almost no Christmas lights. Even the ones that collected for charity are not doing it this year - presumably they did not collect enough last year.

Working...
X