• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Scammer bought the bloody laptop."

Collapse

• TheMonkey
    replied
    They are regulated by the FSA but due to their ambiguous terms, they are hard to prosecute for anything. They are about as safe as Western Union.

Leave a comment:

• davisc02
    replied
    I feckin hate Paypal, there was a thread on here about worst customer service, these feckers are the worst feckwits in the world when it comes to querying something on your Paypal account. Like someone said only use it if you have to and withdraw any balance within seconds. They have a policy where they can freeze your account for 180 days "for investigation", they act like a bank but are unregulated and make up the rules as they go along.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by mcquiggd
    You mean... a shop?
    Almost! Simplicity is key.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    Yeah which is where my massive masterplan comes in. I'm going to destroy ebay, paypal and Loot in one go No registration required, no bidding system, easy payment system (up front payment for costs by unusually simple method), no con artists possible.

I reckon I stand to make a million.

You mean... a shop?

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Money Money Money
    You seen that site " www.paypalsucks.com ".

If i was you I wouldn't ever keep money in paypal. I Withdraw anything that ever goes in there before I send anything out.

have a read
    Yeah I do the same. Paypal is NOT a bank account and I don't treat it as. It's more a BACS like clearing system with hefty charges.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Yeah which is where my massive masterplan comes in. I'm going to destroy ebay, paypal and Loot in one go No registration required, no bidding system, easy payment system (up front payment for costs by unusually simple method), no con artists possible.

I reckon I stand to make a million.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    I haven't used eBay for a long time due to timewasters / scammers - and the most prolific of them is eBay themselves since they bought PayPal.

When you add up the costs of PayPal charges, bumped up delivery charges, risk of false advertising / scamming, it just is not worth it the majority of the time.

Leave a comment:

• Money Money Money
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB
    Some defence I suppose.

But you'll lose your paypal account and any money in it when the DD attempts is refused.

There are some very entertaining stories about paypal and chargebacks.

You seen that site " www.paypalsucks.com ".

If i was you I wouldn't ever keep money in paypal. I Withdraw anything that ever goes in there before I send anything out.

have a read

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Can't do that these days. I have an agreement with the bank to contact me if any charges are taken from DD from Paypal that are over £10. HSBC are a wonderful bank!
    Some defence I suppose.

But you'll lose your paypal account and any money in it when the DD attempts is refused.

There are some very entertaining stories about paypal and chargebacks.

Leave a comment:

• Money Money Money
    replied
    Yeah good point I suppose. I do have a paypal account!
    Why didn't you offer the second chance to the second highest bidder. Cant all be nigerian Scammers!

Same thing happened to me with a mobile, I waited for it to turn up in paypal, then withdrew it. I then sent it! Paypal told me 3 months later it was stolen money and they wanted it back.

Yeah Righot
    !

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Yeah good point I suppose. I do have a paypal account!

Leave a comment:

• davisc02
    replied
    Why don't you set your buyer preferences to

"must have a Paypal account", "not less than 0 feedback" and theres some other preferences there. I find when selling highish value electrical goods putting the must have Paypal account weeds out all the African/Eastern European scammers.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB
    Until they do othe chargeback in a couple of months :-(
    Can't do that these days. I have an agreement with the bank to contact me if any charges are taken from DD from Paypal that are over £10. HSBC are a wonderful bank!

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    I'm going to relist it AGAIN with an Immediate Payment Required option to take cash through paypal. I'll lose a few quid but at least I'll actually get the cash then.
    Until they do othe chargeback in a couple of months :-(

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    It gets worse. Apparently the buyer's account has been hacked by someone without his knowledge. I spoke to the guy on the phone and he was completely dumbfounded that he'd bought a laptop. He has over 200 positive feedback and has not used ebay for nearly 6 months.

I can't afford to "gift" something like this to a relative. I'm sorry but:

a) All my relatives are worthless bastards
    b) I need the money at the moment for other things.

I'm going to relist it AGAIN with an Immediate Payment Required option to take cash through paypal. I'll lose a few quid but at least I'll actually get the cash then.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X