• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Benched/Going Permie poverty food"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Does Domino's give receipts?
    Who are Domino's?

I meant itemised supermarket receipts.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Top tip for that, which my consultant had never seen before, was to take the receipts for my weekly food shopping along to the next consultation.
    Does Domino's give receipts?

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Asked the wife there about high protein diets, after 5 minutes of ranting about urea, potassium and kidneys I lost all focus and came round with "look, we reported him to the GMC" about 10 minutes later.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Asked the wife there about high protein diets, after 5 minutes of ranting about urea, potassium and kidneys I lost all focus and came round with "look, we reported him to the GMC" about 10 minutes later.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I find if I don't get at least 50-60g or a bit more of protein every day then after a few days I'm utterly knackered all the time, as in fall asleep at the wheel knackered. That's without doing any exercise.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Back when I did a lot of climbing up mountains I could recognise those signs, typically about half an hour before we were due to stop for lunch. A Mars or Topic bar was usually enough to see me on that extra bit. Chocolate on its own doesn't stop the hunger pangs.

See a nutritional consultant. Not a weight watchers style dietician. I was suffering from gout attacks at one point and they were quite debilitating.

My GP recommended a nutritional consultant who got me sorted out, and I have rarely suffered since.

Top tip for that, which my consultant had never seen before, was to take the receipts for my weekly food shopping along to the next consultation.
    Cheers! Next appointment is Friday and likely that'll be offered.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Training years ago twice I completely ran out of energy after particularly hard sessions.

Sparklies at peripheral vision, weakness and an insatiable hunger. I was losing it but the trainer spotted was going on so a sugary drink and a MarsBar (not deep fried), later and I came around.
    Back when I did a lot of hiking up mountains I could recognise those signs, typically about half an hour before we were due to stop for lunch. A Mars or Topic bar was usually enough to see me on that extra bit. Chocolate on its own doesn't stop the hunger pangs.

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I learned to sort the diet out after that.

Now I'm diabetic and overweight, blood results today not good so need to get the weight down and the diet sorted. Any advice chaps? High protein diet?
    See a nutritional consultant. Not a weight watchers style dietician.

I was suffering from gout attacks at one point and they were quite debilitating. My GP recommended a nutritional consultant who got me sorted out, and I have rarely suffered since.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    When I am running at the levels I was doing I was craving biscuits, full butter white chocolate 200 calorie monsters and dropping 10 of them a night. The eat and run book woke me up as he mentioned a runner that used chocolate biscuits and mountain dew as his main source for races, got a heart attack when he was 50.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Training years ago twice I completely ran out of energy after particularly hard sessions.

Sparklies at peripheral vision, weakness and an insatiable hunger. I was losing it but the trainer spotted was going on so a sugary drink and a MarsBar (not deep fried), later and I came around.

I learned to sort the diet out after that.

Now I'm diabetic and overweight, blood results today not good so need to get the weight down and the diet sorted. Any advice chaps? High protein diet?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I need the proteins from meat. Did an hour of interval sprints on the bike today and then 1/2 hour of weights.

Student days were easy; I played rugby at 'shamateur' level and food was provided by the rugby club, or more often in an Italian restaurant owned by a committee member. Somehow I've never been especially slim despite always being fit.
    I did a lot of rowing, running and weights in student days, and generally dashed around most of the time when not training. I definitely needed the protein, and that was a key reason for moving out of halls - the so called "Packed lunch" they gave me when training clashed with mealtimes just wasn't enough top keep me going.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Yep, different demands to rugby, but I think a decent comparison is with racing cyclists; they drink a shake immediately after long rides which contains about 3 to 4 grams of carbs to 1 gram of protein, which seems to work and makes sense. Purely carbs or purely protein perhaps won't help.
    I go for a recovery drink straight after anything over 10 miles which is that mixture.

There is the thought (or was until recently) that the any carb is a good carb thought. I have to admit that most of my runs ( 2 15 milers during the week and a marathon on Sunday) are fuelled by complete crap and caffeine.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Right, well, Lady Tester's off at her tennis match so I'll go and finish off that bottle of wine I opened for the poverty food.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Blimey, you were rich.

Baked beans. Rice.
    You can live on it for years....
    Yikes I must have been rich "too", though I recall being rather poor at the time.

We ate much better than that.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    I need to get super lean for the 50 milers but if you are not eating enough you can't train, it is a paradox.
    Yep. Not easy; when I first dealt with a dietician in rugby and had to eat a lot of pasta and chicken, I complained I was hungry all the time and just couldn't pile in enough food. Her answer; 'if this isn't working and if you feel you need it then there's nothing wrong with an extra steak, but make sure it's steak, not cake'.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    See, I don't know, I read Eat & Run recently about a vegan ultra runner who is a trained physio and he was pretty adamant that you do not need the level of protein described. Different sport though from where you are.

I was on a 100 mile a week schedule early in the year and went for a protein shake twice a day to see what it would do, my times plummeted.
    Yep, different demands to rugby, but I think a decent comparison is with racing cyclists; they drink a shake immediately after long rides which contains about 3 to 4 grams of carbs to 1 gram of protein, which seems to work and makes sense. Purely carbs or purely protein perhaps won't help.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X