• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cover versions

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cover versions"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    I was listening to "It is the business of the future to be dangerous" the other day, and that has a cover of Gimmie Shelter, done in a very Hawkwind way.
    Like this:

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    I was listening to "It is the business of the future to be dangerous" the other day, and that has a cover of Gimmie Shelter, done in a very Hawkwind way.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Many years ago I saw a documentary on My Way, and it rounded off with the Sex Pistols version.

Still a favourite.
    Yes, that was a cracker.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Pogle View Post
    My fave cover version has always been Walk on By , by the Stranglers.
    Many years ago I saw a documentary on My Way, and it rounded off with the Sex Pistols version.

Still a favourite.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    My fave cover version has always been Walk on By , by the Stranglers.
    I also prefer the Futureheads version of Hounds of Love to Kates original - Much to Mr P's disgust

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    People Get Ready by the Impressions/Curtis Mayfield -> Bob Marley.

That's a good one.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I love the chiffons reworking of Harrison's my sweet lord.

The original...

Mind you he also stole wonderwall from oasis.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    4 minutes and a second.

Just listened.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Not a cover version as such but when the temptations were delivered the lines of pappa was a rolling stone by the song writers one of the band went fruit loop as his dad died on the third of September.

Song has the longest introduction of any non instrumental song in the US charts I believe.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Cat Stevens and peace train was a good one.

10,000 maniacs pulled it from the album after Islam went on a rant about Rushdie.

Robertson: You don't think that this man deserves to die?
    Y. Islam: Who, Salman Rushdie?
    Robertson: Yes.
    Y. Islam: Yes, yes.
    Robertson: And do you have a duty to be his executioner?
    Y. Islam: Uh, no, not necessarily, unless we were in an Islamic state and I was ordered by a judge or by the authority to carry out such an act - perhaps, yes.
    [Some minutes later, Robertson on the subject of a protest where an effigy of the author is to be burned]
    Robertson: Would you be part of that protest, Yusuf Islam, would you go to a demonstration where you knew that an effigy was going to be burned?
    Y. Islam: I would have hoped that it'd be the real thing
    Kind of at odds with

Now I've been crying lately,
    thinking about the world as it is
    Why must we go on hating,
    why can't we live in bliss

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Jimi's version of all along the watchtower has to be up there.
    Oh feck yes.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Jimi's version of all along the watchtower has to be up there.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Twist and Shout was the big cover version, gave the beatles a credence in America after the Isley brothers version.

The Isley brother have a fantastic cover version album called "givin' it back"

The housemartins covered caravan of love and I cannot complete the loop back to the beatles.

Leave a comment:

• v8gaz
    replied
    My two favourite covers

"Into the Groove(y)" by Ciccone Youth (Sonic Youth/Mike Watt) - YouTube

Magazine - Goldfinger - YouTube

And Devo's Satisfaction, of course.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I always liked the Lulu cover of Man Who Sold The World.

I think I was influenced by her hat in the video.
    I thought the Nirvana version was the original until I heard Bowie playing it at the Isle of Wight Festival.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X